Official test announcement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loopymum64

Re: Official test announcement

Post by loopymum64 »

From the above link : 'See the Buckinghamshire Advertiser/Examiner tomorrow (Thursday) for a five page special report on the changes.'

Five pages !!! What on earth are they going to publish ?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Beth's mum wrote:Hi 11+ friends
Is this the information given at the Head Teachers meeting today?
It is indeed.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

loopymum64 wrote:Five pages !!! What on earth are they going to publish ?
A fraction of what's been posted and discussed on here?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:"The preparation papers will not be marked or taken away from the school."

This immediately begs an obvious question... :?
What happens with the OoC children, attending non-Partner schools, who will receive the preparation materials directly to their home? And home-educated children, within or outside of Bucks, whose parents will need to take them through the preparation themselves?
wifeofquirky

Post by wifeofquirky »

How do you know these new tests are going to work? As is their usual practice, CEM trials materials that are developed for its tests and, as part of this process, one of three sets of trials this year will be held in Buckinghamshire to ensure that the new tests are of the appropriate standard. It is proposed that about 1000 primary school pupils will take part in this trial later in the Spring term. The tests taken next September will of course comprise entirely new material.
I assume these 1000 pupils will not be allowed to take the actual test as they will advantaged in that they have been through the process even if all test material is changed. They will have benefit of sitting the new style exam, seeing the correct looking papers. So, advantage to them I would say without a shadow of doubt. If this is to be 'fair' then no child should have exposure to the process at all until the actual test day. I will be emailing my objections to this point during the consultation process.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

wifeofquirky wrote:How do you know these new tests are going to work? As is their usual practice, CEM trials materials that are developed for its tests and, as part of this process, one of three sets of trials this year will be held in Buckinghamshire to ensure that the new tests are of the appropriate standard. It is proposed that about 1000 primary school pupils will take part in this trial later in the Spring term. The tests taken next September will of course comprise entirely new material./quote]

I assume these 1000 pupils will not be allowed to take the actual test as they will advantaged in that they have been through the process even if all test material is changed. They will have benefit of sitting the new style exam, seeing the correct looking papers. So, advantage to them I would say without a shadow of doubt. If this is to be 'fair' then no child should have exposure to the process at all until the actual test day. I will be emailing my objections to this point during the consultation process.
I agree. I wonder whether part of the tendering process should have been that this test was previously trialled by the test provider in another region.

Or perhaps the sample will be taken from the current year six pupils, having already sat the 11+.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

anotherdad wrote: Or perhaps the sample will be taken from the current year six pupils, having already sat the 11+.

Then they could match it against those they know to have passed this year!! Could be interesting!
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

wifeofquirky wrote:
How do you know these new tests are going to work? As is their usual practice, CEM trials materials that are developed for its tests and, as part of this process, one of three sets of trials this year will be held in Buckinghamshire to ensure that the new tests are of the appropriate standard. It is proposed that about 1000 primary school pupils will take part in this trial later in the Spring term. The tests taken next September will of course comprise entirely new material./quote]

I would have thought that the trial will be with pupils who have already sat the 11+ this year, i.e. the current Y6. They may cross correlate with the VR results to see if there is much difference?! However if they do use current Y6 pupils, they will be taking the test some months after the next batch would in Sept 2013 and have benefitted from more teaching and greater maturity? Not sure if this would make a difference or not?
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Booklady wrote:
anotherdad wrote: Or perhaps the sample will be taken from the current year six pupils, having already sat the 11+.

Then they could match it against those they know to have passed this year!! Could be interesting!
Snap, we are thinking the same!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Up to ten answers? I've never heard of that before. It will take them ages to read through them.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now