Official test announcement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kiki4

Re: Official test announcement

Post by kiki4 »

Teachers at our local grammar school were told about the changes today and were told the trial tests will be for current Year 6 pupils. It makes sense. As already mentioned the results can be compared with the same children's success in the old style exam.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

kiki4 wrote:Teachers at our local grammar school were told about the changes today and were told the trial tests will be for current Year 6 pupils. It makes sense. As already mentioned the results can be compared with the same children's success in the old style exam.
Thank Crunchie for that! Should make for an interesting comparison, though. :idea:
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

10 multichoice answers? Have to say everything I read in this thread is most unimpressive. I hope kent has not signed the dotted line. Unless the content of this thread is way off mark it makes cem sound like dabbling beginners.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mystery wrote:10 multichoice answers? Have to say everything I read in this thread is most unimpressive. I hope kent has not signed the dotted line. Unless the content of this thread is way off mark it makes cem sound like dabbling beginners.
I think I've missed something...where does it say anything about 10 possible answers?

Even the BMAT university entrance test only expects candidates to choose from 5 answers? :shock:
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

According to the Bucks Advertiser (believe the Press if you wish to) http://www.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co ... -32576050/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:
The exams will be split into three separate sections on the question types, and children will have a set amount of time to answer the questions in each section.

If they do not finish in the allocated time, they will have to move onto the next question types.

The questions will also be multiple choice, with up to 10 choices available, in a bid to stop children from getting the correct answers through lucky guessing.
I am not convinced at the moment.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/local ... -1-4661936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Main headline in the Bucks Herald - nice to know they are 'up to speed' :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks, S-A! I hadn't seen that article.

As for "lucky guessing", we all know that relatively few correct answers are obtained this way especially when the question requires more than one answer to be selected. I think providing such a large number of options is unfair and will overwhelm children. One more point to make in the consultation response, if it turns out to be true. :|
Marylou
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote:http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/local ... -1-4661936

Main headline in the Bucks Herald - nice to know they are 'up to speed' :lol:
Thanks G55 - I went looking for it... :lol:
Marylou
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Marylou wrote:
mystery wrote:10 multichoice answers? Have to say everything I read in this thread is most unimpressive. I hope kent has not signed the dotted line. Unless the content of this thread is way off mark it makes cem sound like dabbling beginners.
I think I've missed something...where does it say anything about 10 possible answers?

Even the BMAT university entrance test only expects candidates to choose from 5 answers? :shock:
Warwickshire CEM tests have some questions which you could argue are multiple-choice with 26 possible answers! Missing letter cloze - e.g. jewelled goblet = cha _ _ _ e. Also the numeracy elements here haven't been multiple choice - but do have to have answers written into number boxes for electronic recognition. So you could at a stretch argue that those are also 10 multiple answers - anything from 0 to 9 in each box!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Okanagan wrote:
Marylou wrote:

Warwickshire CEM tests have some questions which you could argue are multiple-choice with 26 possible answers! Missing letter cloze - e.g. jewelled goblet = cha _ _ _ e. Also the numeracy elements here haven't been multiple choice - but do have to have answers written into number boxes for electronic recognition. So you could at a stretch argue that those are also 10 multiple answers - anything from 0 to 9 in each box!
Yes, I'd seen those sample papers and wondered if that format might be used, but didn't think they could be marked electronically. Isn't Warwickshire an "opt-in" test?
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now