Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

djdigitald

Help!

Post by djdigitald »

Ok, first of all I have been reading this site for many months now and up until today the information gleaned from here has been very good. Last Friday while on holiday my daughter fell off her bike and broke her right arm :( . She is due to take her 11+ when she goes back in September and we are concerned as to what is going to happen as she is right handed and currently she can't even hold a pen let alone write with one. I have emailed the school for help but as it is still the holidays do not expect to receive an answer for a while.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Daniel
Garnett

Re: Help!

Post by Garnett »

Hi Daniel
I think you will to have get medical documentary evidence of your daughter's incapacity to write from your GP so I would contact your surgery asap. We were advised by our head that if your child is unwell on the day of the test, it can be taken on a later date.
Hope your daughter mends soon.
Garnett
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I recommend that you call the Admissions team at Bucks County Council. The primary school will simply do the same or suggest that you call them.

There is just about enough time for her to take the test once the cast is off (assuming the usual 6 week healing time), but I think that even then she might be disadvantaged by the subsequent weakness in her wrist and arm muscles. That takes time and exercise to overcome.

It may be that alternative testing arrangements can be made for her - a scribe, for example.

I have sent you a PM.
djdigitald

Post by djdigitald »

Thanks all. Sally-Anne I have replied to your DM.

To make matters worse Stoke Mandeville Hospital will not see her to have her plaster changed from the temporary one they put on even with a referral from the hospital that treated her in Hastings. They have said that before they give her an appointment she needs to see her Dr! The Dr has said that their comment is absolutely outrageous and is going to get it sorted urgently however there is still going to be a delay! We are going back to East Sussex this weekend so we may just take her back to the hospital that treated her originally to get it changed.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Usually can't refer yourself to the local fracture clinic either goes through AE or the GP

So if someone turns up at a surgery having been treated for a fracture at St Elsewhere's they are usually just referred straight to the local fracture clinic by a phone call.... same of next day if there are problems / next week if all ticketyboo
djdigitald

Post by djdigitald »

hermanmunster wrote:Usually can't refer yourself to the local fracture clinic either goes through AE or the GP

So if someone turns up at a surgery having been treated for a fracture at St Elsewhere's they are usually just referred straight to the local fracture clinic by a phone call.... same of next day if there are problems / next week if all ticketyboo
But she had a referral from the AE at Conquest Hospital in Hastings, we needed to confirm the date of the appointment. Stoke said that the Hospital referral was not good enough. But that is another story.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now