2013 "Rough Guide" to Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jpk

Re: 2013 "Rough Guide" to Allocations

Post by Jpk »

I'm no expert, but I guess it depends on how many who got through selection appeals put bhs as first choice. In theory, if 20 more who got through appeals had bhs as first choice, the number would move up to 170 and then the over subscription criteria would kick in,,,...I think! If no one who got through selection appeals put bhs as first choice, then I think your conclusion is correct, but happy to be guided by those who know better...
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Sally-Anne wrote:It should be accessible now if you request it via Freedom of Information: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/foi/freed ... n_act.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

There is a 20 working day deadline for FoI requests, so if you were to place one today, you should receive the information by Tuesday 12th March at the latest. It might well be sooner than that though, depending on the workload of the department involved, and the immediate availability of the information requested.
Thanks. Have requested it and will see what they come back with.....
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

mja wrote:The PAN number for BHS is 150 and the number of 1st preferences (who qualified) is also 150. Does this mean that everybody who put Beaconsfield High School down for their DD who's passed the test will get in?
Not quite I don't think.

If someone put a different school 1st - but did not get that one (say put WHS first - but lived outside of their catchment) -their second choice comes into play. If they actually live in catchment for BHS they would get this choice over a first choice person for BHS who lives further away. This is as Bucks operates the 'equal preference' system. Hope I explained that ok!! :?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

With just 10 days till allocation date, 1st March :shock: I would like to wish all of us anxious parents waiting for the notification the best of luck x x x
Heartmum x x x
lisa.1988

Post by lisa.1988 »

I think BHS may have become more popular again as they now have a permanent head who is very experienced. They also no longer have financial difficulties. I think the lack of a head puts people off-we certainly considered it when we looked round! My dd is in year 7 and her classmates come from miles away! They also have places in the current year 7 so if anyone has done 12+ then it might be an option for start of year 8.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

Becky High also got the best set of A level results in Bucks last year (state schools).
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi does anyone know how much places there are in the current year 7 at BHS and BGS?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

One at BGS, last I heard (December).
scary mum
Cazza0104

Post by Cazza0104 »

I am a little confused by distances from the school in catchments. BHS in their admissions policy for Sept 2013 clearly states the distance is measured by road, not as the crow flies. Does anyone know if this is correct? Other grammars' policies do state the new rule, so I am presuming BHS has decided to stick with the old one - annoying as we shave off almost 2 miles (apx. 1/3 of distance) going as the crow flies (not sure if that is better than average but we do have a very windy route to BHS!) Can they do this if they are not an academy?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Cazza0104, and welcome!

That does indeed seem to be an anomaly. As they are not yet an Academy I would have thought that they would be operating under the same rules as everyone else, as specified by Bucks CC.

I can't recall reading anything to the contrary in the Parents' Guide. Unfortunately I can't access that at the moment because the BCC website is down. If anyone has a paper copy, perhaps they could scan it and check?

I will certainly take a look later if the site comes back up.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now