Where are the good tutors?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
new2bucks

Where are the good tutors?

Post by new2bucks »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the 11 plus and finding it all a bit daunting, this forum has been a great help though and hope it can now help me in my query.

Due to health and work commitments, I am having to rely on a tutor and since moving here we have tried a few, one spent most of her time running between several classrooms full of children and the latest one didn’t know that the exam format had changed.

We moved to bucks last year and don’t really have a wide circle of friends to fall back on to give recommendations. After being let down by a few tutors, I am at the point of banging my head against a brick wall! I don’t mind paying as long as my daughter gets the benefit, not looking for a cattle farm of children marking each others papers.

So if there is anyone out there who has genuine recommendations, I will gladly follow up all leads. Any assistance no matter how small will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Stressed mom.

forum rules: can you please reply by the private message button - thank you

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... CEM-11plus

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
scary mum

Re: Where are the good tutors?

Post by scary mum »

It's particularly difficult this year since none of the Bucks tutors have tutored for this style of 11 plus before. Good luck. It might help if you can say whereabouts in Bucks you are.
scary mum
new2bucks

Post by new2bucks »

Thanks - I have a gut feeling that I will be needing the luck.

I guess you are spot on in terms of difficulty this year, just adds to the frustration as having done the research - I know what im looking for, just can’t seem to find it.

If it helps I am based just outside High Wycombe but am flexible to travel anywhere within the bucks county border, I don’t mind the travelling as long as the tutor ticks all the boxes.

Many thanks
eleven plus exams

Post by eleven plus exams »

This site has received many enquiries at our office since Bucks changes were announced for courses, one to one tuition and mock exams that cater for the CEM 11 plus test - most parents report that they have had difficulty in getting any information about the CEM exam from the tutors in Bucks ( probably because the vast majority of Bucks tutors would only have needed to teach the GL style Verbal Reasoning for many years). Some parents are naturally panicking because apart from the added factor of the unknown exam, there are additional subjects to study and also with the exam being bought forward there is less time to prepare this year.

We are therefore now offering intensive courses in Easter (Maths and Verbal Reasoning) which will include CEM 11 plus question styles. Further courses will also run in the summer holidays for Non Verbal Reasoning.
Details can be found here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... CEM-11plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

For years what parents have needed is a coach, someone who knows all the techniques and the best way to manage time.

Now, what they might need is a teacher. Someone skilled in pedagogy.

So, check!

And how will you know if they're doing their job? They should showing RAP at school - Rapid and Sustained Progress.

Without knowing that they're being tutored their teachers should notice the difference.
new2bucks

Post by new2bucks »

Hello again,

A sincere thank you to all those that did reply I am very grateful.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone using a midlands tutor who is setting up a new class in the Buckinghamshire area, existing bucks parents who are currently using this tutor will know who I am referring to. If any bucks parents are willing to share their experiences of using this tutor, can you please get back to me as I will be extremely grateful.

Thanks again.

New2bucks
new2bucks

Post by new2bucks »

Just want to pass on my thanks to all those that responded with ideas and advice, as well as a very special thank you to two parents (AY,MK) who went out of their way, not sure you realise exactly how valuable your support was.

Balancing chemotherapy and 11 plus is not easy, but I suppose like every parent I just want the best start for my daughter. The only reason I have mentioned the above treatment is to explain the reason for any unanswered messages, last thing I would want is for parents to think that I was being rude and hypocritical if they did not get a reply.

Signing off for now and promise to be back very soon, (this site is becoming addictive – lol)

Thanks again to the members of this forum and keep up the good work. If only there was an award out there for ‘Best 11+ resource on the web’!

New2bucks
x
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Wishing you and your family the very best, new2bucks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now