How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Siena_1

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi all
Just to update you on how our appeals went for Bucks.
Yesterday we attended the BHS appeal and the clerk made us aware of a 2 hour delay, we were sent to the office cafe and waited. The clerk, Presenting officer and Panel were all very welcoming. The school put the case forward after introductions and then I fired off with the questions. After each question the panel questioned the PO many times, in fact at one point he put his hand up and said 'yes yes you are right it does not quote that anywhere' and 'no we didn't publish it'. The panel asked a few questions about how our daughter felt on the day and the other questions were about the psy ed report.

Today we had BGS appeal and thankfully it was running on time. We were greeted by the clerk who explained to us on the way to the room that we do not need to challenge the FCO as the panel have already concluded it was NOT fair!! My husband and I just looked at each other really surprised. The chairman introduced everyone and when he said you have already met the Clerk he said he is also a barrister, not sure if that's the case with clerks? Then the PO spoke about the case, the chairman then said we have already concluded the FCO was not fair so please go straight to the academic side of the appeal. Has this happened before? I am not quite sure why this had already been discussed? But was quite relieved too.. Any thoughts? Also my husband said the PO was not part of BGS but worked for bucks education authority.

I hope the above helps others somewhat. I have one last appeal this Friday in slough ,cannot wait for it all to be over.

Siena x
Etienne

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place 2013

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the feedback, Siena.
Today we had BGS appeal and thankfully it was running on time. We were greeted by the clerk who explained to us on the way to the room that we do not need to challenge the FCO as the panel have already concluded it was NOT fair!! My husband and I just looked at each other really surprised.
:roll:
Nothing would surprise us any more!
(It wouldn't necessarily set a precedent for other panels, though.)
The chairman introduced everyone and when he said you have already met the Clerk he said he is also a barrister, not sure if that's the case with clerks?
With the old style selection appeals we certainly had the occasional report of a barrister being used. Presumably, if there are a lot of hearings taking place, there are not enough of the usual clerks to go round?
Also my husband said the PO was not part of BGS but worked for bucks education authority.
We have mentioned this possibility, because the alternative would mean someone from the school having to take a lot of time away from their 'day job'!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... nt#p375992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Just to confuse you, though - when it comes to the hearing, the school might ask the LA to represent them. (This, at any rate, is what usually happens with appeals for a place at an oversubscribed Bucks school that is its own admission authority.)
Etienne
KKT

Post by KKT »

Just writing to give some hope to those still waiting for appeals.

Our first appeal was unsuccessful and we presented our case for the 2nd appeal, exactly the same as the previous one -this time we were successful :D

We have qualified but for our 3rd choice school. However, this school is full. The council cannot tell us what position on the waiting list our DS is, but adviced to wait until the next round of allocations to see if he makes it in, on 21st May. If we don't get through on that round, then we'll be told our position on the waiting list in writing and be put in for the next round of allocations - 21st June!

Something I hadn't considered - We still have 1 outstanding appeal (4th choice GS) - if we get an offer for our 3rd choice school, although we have 14days to accept the offer, we will need to change our order of preference to be considered for the next appeal. :?
As JPK mentioned earlier, appeals are on-going so why are allocations being made while some appeals haven't been heard? How confusing is the system?

If only we'd been successful at SRP then none of this would have been an issue now! All panels we've appealed to have agreed SRP was not FCO :roll:

Best of luck to everyone still to attend appeal hearings for selection and/or oversubscription! 8)
burgerman

Appealing for a Bucks GS place

Post by burgerman »

Moved to:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=32213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you, 1lurker, for contributing to the feedback section:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 84#p378584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds to me as if you have a case deserving of very serious consideration.

Most people on here have three significant hurdles to overcome - FCO, selection, oversubscription.
With a 4:2 recommendation, you've had four!

Hope you have a good outcome.

The fair, consistent and objective hurdle was a clear annoyance imposed on the panel
And on everyone else? :?
Etienne
Siena_1

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi all
Both our appeals were unsuccessful, we won the FCO part in both and not the academic side. We really tried our best and gave it everything we had, it just wasn't meant to be.
We are waiting for results of 2 Grammar schools in slough but these wont be released till 12 July. Until then I just hope our daughter is allocated a school soon. I put 3 grammars (2 bucks and 1 Berks) on my CAF form which left the 3 non grammars and she's way down the waiting list so probably won't get those :( any advice?
Good luck to everyone, this forum kept me going and I thank you Mods once again.

Siena
KKT

Post by KKT »

Hi Siena,

Saddened to hear your news. :( This is a very gruelling process. Please don't give up hope on the outcomes of the GS's in Slough...you just never know what the result will be. We have just had news of our successful appeal to our 1st choice grammar school. We had totally given up hope on a successful outcome as the hearing was so intense. So there is always hope.

I reiterate your comments about this site and forum. We couldn't have survived the appeal process without the help of Etienne, Sally-Anne and all the mods. A massive 'thank you' to you all.
:D
Siena_1

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place 2013

Post by Siena_1 »

Hi KKT
Thanks for your kind words and huge congratulations on your successful appeal :D ,
you and your DC must be over the moon with your 1st choice school, Well done.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now