SWBGS vs JHGS vs. ROYAL GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Y

Re: SWBGS vs JHGS vs. ROYAL GS

Post by Y »

mrsmum wrote:I don't think DT is compulsory at JHGS any more - DS1 is in y10 at JHGS and is not taking a DT subject.
Good to hear. It's somewhere on their website though, which is where I got it from.
Y

Post by Y »

Rob Clark wrote:I believe JHGS has been improving steadily over the past few years though – maybe one of the mods could confirm this? Certainly both the boys and the parents I know there are very happy with it.

Re. RGS, it is a rugby school if that is a factor. They are passionate about it and are the most successful school in the country at U15 level so the focus is on that much more than other sports.
I don't know anyone unhappy with either school.

If your DS is not sporty, that's not a problem at RGS, despite the passion for rugby. Non-rugby players don't even have to play it very much, often getting options for other sports while the 'team' players get muddy on the rugby field. RGS also has a swimming pool.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Rob - I'm told that Royal Latin School under 15 rugby won the Daily Mail vase this year so maybe RGS need to look to their laurels?

Looking round the schools is the only way to judge.
Last edited by Guest55 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

They did, yes, beat Felsted in the final. But the Vase is the second tier competition… :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So did RGS win the cup?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Not this year, no. It was Warwick School (apologies for the digression)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So maybe NOT the top team in the country or even the county this year? They do have twice as many pupils to select from as well.

Off topic - but may be of interest to a rugby fan (certainly not to me!!)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Fair enough, I should have said historically they are the most successful team in the country at U15 rugby, in that they have won the competition on more occasions than any other school.

But of course in sport things change from year to year, and different rules and regulations apply to different age groups.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Just to clarify, the Vase is for teams knocked out of the main competition, the Cup, early on – it's like a Plate event, so winning that doesn't make a team better than one which won 7 or 8 rounds to reach the quarter-finals of the Cup.

Still a fine effort by Royal Latin, though, to be sure. I hear their maths department is top-notch too :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't dare to comment on any school's maths department.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now