Clerk's Notes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buzzybee

Clerk's Notes

Post by buzzybee »

Just to let you know that we requested the Clerk's Notes from our first appeal, out of curiosity really. The letter from the Appeals Team had kindly stated that they had waived the usual £10 fee under the Act I had quoted in my email request (thanks SA I think it was you!).

I am suitably pleased that the clerk's notes were an accurate assessment of our appeal. The majority were notes from the 1st stage (FCO) which the Panel agreed unaimously that the review was not carried out in a FCO way.

One of the Panel members stated that most likely all the evidence at the review was not taken into account and therefore had it been, it may well have been a different outcome and another member stated no mention of positives at the review (eg 130 VR score, gold award for maths etc).

With regards to the academic side it does seem that the Headteacher's recommendation which wasn't very accurate for those awarded a 1:1 probably went against us (over complimentary stated in the notes) and dd's reading age, even though her reading level is a 5b.

One member stated that we had only given 1 additional piece of evidence at the Appeal with an up to date reading age but we did provide Key Stage 1 levels and evidence to say dd was doing Level 6 in reading and maths so she concluded that dd would not be suitable for a G school place. Another member thought a score of 119 was a true reflection of dd's ability.

Interestingly, the Chairman stated that there was evidence to suggest that dd is of G school standard but again stated the 119 score was an accurate assessment.

Overall, I thought it was a fair hearing. I am pleased that we got to state our case and the Panel listened. I now feel that the review could have gone either way depending on who was looking at our case at the time! So close, but yet so far........

Dd is looking ahead to her Upper School choice. She didn't and still doesn't know that we appealed. She is adamant at the moment that she wants to take the 12 plus (groan), but for now we can draw a line under it all and move on.

If you've read this far, well done!