Susan Daughtrey...again..panic

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
June

Susan Daughtrey...again..panic

Post by June »

I hate to go over this again but.... my daughter is just about to go into Year 5 and will sit Bucks 11 plus in 2008. I did think about tutoring her myself but decided against it purely because of our personalities rather than her and my abilities. I managed to get her on the list for a tutor who many of our acquaintances have used so was releived. She starts her sessions just before Xmas, which I must admit I think is too early but that's the way this tutor works so I have to go with it. Have just got the reading list and having followed this forum back when I was deciding whether to go the self-tutoring route, I am so dismayed to see Daughtrey's books on there:-
VR reasoning graded test papers
VR technique and practice books 1-4
VR further practice exercises.

Are these the Daightry books that are now considered redundant for the Bucks exam?

Can it actually do my daughter any harm to be tutored from these books?

I don't want to ask any of the other people who have used this tutor for fear of starting a panic or being seen as a trouble causer. And the thought of abandoning this tutor before we even start and being far too late to find anybody else has put me in an almighty panic - I'm so worried.

Could I have any thoughts from those tutors who advise via this site - thanks so much.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear June

The only Susan Daughtrey Books that are applicable to Bucks is her Bright Sparks series [ a very good resource ] The books you have quoted above are not really relevant.

1] Standard form, not multiple choice [approached differently]

2] 35 plus different types of questions, some split into a,b,c [ only need 21]

3] Some Types that are similar, are that, only similar they have been set out differently. eg the 21 would have 3 words in 2 sets of brackets where you need to find one from each that are similar or opposite in meaning. The above books would have one word out side the brackets with several inside, you only have to find one word inside the brackets which matches the one on the outside [made easier]

I see no point in using these books when there are a number on the market that cover the correct 21.

What is the point of covering 20 odd extra types, in the wrong format?

21 types publishers include...IPS, AFN. Walsh and her Bright Sparks.

Why don't you try and see how you get on with DIY, try a bit of bribery, would your other half consider being the 'teacher?'

Patricia
Lizzy

Post by Lizzy »

My daughter was coached by Susan Daughtrey a couple of years ago, and SD herself used Books 1-4. Even she didn't use all the question types, telling the children to ignore those that aren't relevant. It got pretty confusing, and I recall only about 5-6 types being left out, so I don't think all the coaching was relevant.

Once we realised that she herself had produced a more relevant series (Bright Sparks) we speculated that maybe books 1 - 4 hadn't sold all that well so she was using up left-over stock!

Lizzy
June

Post by June »

Thanks so much for this Patricia and Lizzy

Patricia - so my interpretation of your reply is, the SD books cover everything but more question types than is necessary and not in a helpful format, but they don't actually leave anything out. I think I might go with the tutor to kick off the routine and then self-tutor after easter.

Lizzy - how did your daughter do in the exam with such a complicated approach from SD? Would you do things differently if you were doing it again? How did SD justify using books that weren't tailored to the exam?

Thanks again - any other advice most welcome.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi June

Provided you feel that you will get on with your daughter OK during coaching I wouldn't bother with the tutor at all under the circumstances. The tutor is going to spend the first term doing all the easy question types that your daughter will mainly be able to do in her sleep. The tougher bit comes later, when the codes and trickier types kick in, and then the timed tests and practice papers turn up.

Get a copy of the IPS parents guide, look out for the new free download on Methods and Techniques from The Tutors, which should be along very shortly (see Verbal Reasoning section - recent thread), register on this site and come back to us anytime you want for advice. We are here 24/7, or thereabouts, between us!

Good luck
Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

June wrote:
but they don't actually leave anything out..
I really cannot recommend your daughter using these books.

Yes they do leave some out because they do not come up in a close enough fashion, this can be seen in vocab questions, codes and numbers.

Your daughter needs to know how to approach Multiple Choice, it is so different. Not just the fact there are 5 answers. some questions can be answered directly from the answer sheet, some questions you only need to find part of the answer...

May I ask what other books are on your list?

Please think about what Sally-Anne has said

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi June,

My son went to a tutor that turned out not to be good enough, so I finshed his preparartion myself.

I still wanted him to take his practice sessions seriously, so I didn't tell him that I was going to replace the tutor.
On the usual day, I let him get ready and only as we should have left home I told him that I was replacing the tutor, but that we would take the sesson just as seriously.
He was happy not to go to the tutor, and was ready for the practice session, so it went well.

So I do understand you wanting to get your son into the 11+ practice habit with a tutor. But I am also suggesting that you could let your son believe that he is going to have a tutor, and to let him discover that its you at the last minute. A bit devious I know...:D

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Catherine
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

you could let your son believe that he is going to have a tutor, and to let him discover that its you at the last minute. A bit devious I know...
Goodness gracious Catherine, I had no idea you could be so underhand!

A great suggestion!

Best wishes
Sally Anne
June

Post by June »

Patricia

The other books were

The New First Aid in English

Spelling Today - 10-11 years

Do these make any sense to you?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear June

First Aid in English is good for literacy skills. For the 11 plus it has 2 pages of good similar words and a couple of pages on analogies.

Spelling Book, not aware of.

What test papers have you been asked to get other than Daughtrey books 1-7 ?

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now