letter from Bucks Council re prep and transfer test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Desperate_Parents

Re: letter from Bucks Council re prep and transfer test

Post by Desperate_Parents »

Lea's mum wrote:I think you are correct. If your daughter qualifies, it doesn't make a difference if she scores 121 or 141.
And how would she qualify?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:If she just rang County Hall it would be a person in the contact centre not someone in admissions.
Quite possibly. Need some new staff there as well then!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Desperate_Parents wrote:
Lea's mum wrote:I think you are correct. If your daughter qualifies, it doesn't make a difference if she scores 121 or 141.
Not our area, but 121 was the pass, or "qualifying" mark on the previous VR-only 11+. As I understand it, with the Bucks system, if the qualifying mark is achieved, it is only the individual schools' oversubscription criteria such as distance that are important, not how high the score achieved was.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Desperate_Parents

ToadMum wrote:
Desperate_Parents wrote:
Not our area, but 121 was the pass, or "qualifying" mark on the previous VR-only 11+. As I understand it, with the Bucks system, if the qualifying mark is achieved, it is only the individual schools' oversubscription criteria such as distance that are important, not how high the score achieved was.
So in effect she "has" to pass the exam to qualify :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

So in effect she "has" to pass the exam to qualify :)
Of course, it's a fully selective school. The admission criteria for BGS are here (apologies if I've got the wrong school, I can't scroll back up while typing) http://www.bgs.bucks.sch.uk/Mainfolder/ ... Policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This says draft, but I'm sure the final is the same - after qualifying the first 3 criteria are children in care, then in area children, then siblings.

Eta: I have just re-read the thread and think there is some misunderstanding over the word "qualify", which is used to avoid the words "pass" and "fail". In Bucks children qualify for a place at GS if they achieve a score of 121 or more. After qualification the admission criteria for the school apply - for BGS see the above link, each school now varies slightly. If the child does not gain admission under the criteria they will be offered the next available school listed on the CAF according to that schools admission criteria. Usually it comes down to distance from the school which varies by year and by school. The score is never used as a tie-breaker, it's simply a case of qualified or not. If a child is not offered the preferred school you can go on the waiting list and/or appeal.
Last edited by scary mum on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

She could also be deemed selective at an appeal panel.
Desperate_Parents

Thank you scary mum :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now