Dinner and breakfast pre 11+ - any advice please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Dinner and breakfast pre 11+ - any advice please?

Post by scary mum »

2Girlsmum wrote:We gave dd1 a home-made blueberry and banana milkshake before her test as eating the banana was hard on a nervous tummy. We plan on the same with dd2 on Friday:)
Yum, that sounds like a great idea.
scary mum
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

scary mum wrote:Are you a nutritionist Tinkus-Pinkus?
Yes I trained in Nutritional Therapy as part of my job. In regards to additional anxiety caused to children, no one suggested that you should tell them that you are giving them a special meal. I feed my DD in a similar way all the time. Thirdly high refined carb diets are not good for you or your kids full stop. Fourthly I feel attacked and will refrain from advising in future. Just trying to help the person who asked at the beginning of the thread. Each to their own :D over and out on this one for me.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My apologies if you felt attacked Tinkus-Pinkus, that wasn't my intention. I agree that too many refined carbs are not good, but I really don't think it makes a huge difference what they eat the night before. Mine would have gone hungry as they aren't big salmon-lovers :). However, none of mine are allowed to leave th house without a decent breakfast inside them, even though they don't particularly feel like it.
scary mum
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Fourthly I feel attacked and will refrain from advising in future.
I was happy to read your post. DD2 will have some of the Planet Organic raw chocolate with walnuts in her packed lunch on Friday. The test lasts from 8.30am until 3pm so any little helps. DD1 has sesame snaps for a lunchtime boost, but this sounds better. Thank you x
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

2Girlsmum wrote:
Fourthly I feel attacked and will refrain from advising in future.
I was happy to read your post.
Same here. Anything to boost concentration and brain cells on the day is a plus. Though I'm not sure the children's choice of lunchtime treat after the test (ours is in the morning) would win any awards for nutritional value! :lol:
Marylou
modernista

Post by modernista »

Every child is different and instinctively we all know our children by now. I agree that refined carbs are not ideal but my DD can not function without carbs at night. She has a superspeedy metabolism and is really skinny so I make sure she has a good portion of carbs always. I try to make them wholegrain and healthy but I dont believe in obsessing about this. I would never introduce anything new just before the test as a full tummy is the most important thing.

Tinkus, the absence of dairy is quite conspicuous. Can you explain?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

A word of caution - should one really be introducing new foods to ones DC just before an important exam? I would go with foods they are familiar with just in case the new foods have an undesirable affect on the body! :wink:
modernista

Post by modernista »

I think Tinkus's suggestion should be taken in the context that her/his DD eats similar foods all the time. I have finally got DD to appreciate fish and we can eat it together a few times a week.

Are the cacao beans bitter (sorry for ignorance). DD has chocolate addiction I suspect and I was wondering if these could work as an alternative. Of course I am being stupid, she likes tha chocolate because of the sugar and fat.
modernista

Post by modernista »

What are good foods for a skinny spotty hormonal 13 yo DD

I am serious
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hello Tinkus, please don't leave this thread - I've enjoyed reading the various responses.

Personally DD has scrambled eggs on 'best of both' a couple of times a week. Salmon twice a week for dinner. She doesn't like bananas so I've made the blueberry and banana shake with yoghurt for mornings when she's in a rush and hasn't eaten much.

DD has had internal assessments this week - and lo and behold she's eating more protein and less carbs.

I don't think any of the posts were intended as a verbal attack - just difference of opinion.

Do you have any advice on which foods can help to calm eczema.
:)
SleepyHead