Dinner and breakfast pre 11+ - any advice please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pmmum

Dinner and breakfast pre 11+ - any advice please?

Post by pmmum »

When my daughter did the 11+ 3 years ago (oh the good old days) just before the test someone had posted advice on best foods to have for dinner and breakfast just before the test to aid sleep that night and then concentration the next day.

I cannot find this post anymore so wondered if the person who posted this was still around and could re-post. I seem to remember it included something like not having pasta the night before and including bananas for breakfast.

many thanks
Marylou

Re: Dinner and breakfast pre 11+ - any advice please?

Post by Marylou »

That would have been Patricia's excellent advice which now forms part of the advice section of the main website. At the risk of sparking a run on bananas (or conversely a slump in pasta sales :lol: ), here's the link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice/day-of-the-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Marylou
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Salmon or mackerel the night before and a dark green leafy vegetable, brocoli, or asparagus are good. and a small boiled not baked or fried potato ( this helps to transport the tryptohan from the proteins eaten to the brain which converts to seretonin and aids sleepa), with a drizzle of good oil. Blueberries and a handful of almonds soaked in water for pudding and coconut water to drink. Breakfast scrambled eggs smoked salmon and spinach. And coconut water or almond milk to drink.
Cacao beans or nibs are really good for clarifying the mind just before the test and during the break. I would suggest water or coconut milk as a between tests drink. I hope this helps.
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Tinkus-Pinkus wrote: Cacao beans or nibs are really good for clarifying the mind just before the test and during the break. I would suggest water or coconut milk as a between tests drink. I hope this helps.
Sorry Tinkus-Pinkus
But what is "cacao beans and n I m b s"?
Where do buy them?

How do you use it? :shock:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I think I served served comfort food before dc's exams - probably pizza and chips or pasta.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No idea whether the "workmen's caff" where I have promised DS2 breakfast on the day offers smoked salmon with their scrambled egg, but dinner the night before is likely to be whatever we are having for dinner that night. Within the bounds of a generally good diet, most of us find that we feel happiest and most productive having eaten something that we enjoy :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Stodgy, refined carbs give people brain fug and make children slow. My DD does enjoy all the foods suggested. They are all good brain foods and will not give DC's blood sugar spikes and lows.

Cacao beans are raw chocolate beans. Chocolate is really good for improving IQ and speed, but sugar is not so eating raw cacao is a good option. My DD loves them but her friends do not (they are an acquired taste). Thay can be bought from the health food shop.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Cacao beans are raw chocolate beans. Chocolate is really good for improving IQ and speed, but sugar is not so eating raw cacao is a good option
NOW I have an excuse to have a raw chocolate splurge at Planet Organic...:)
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

P.S Banana's are packed full of potassium which is a calming mineral. Coconut water is better because it is hydrating and it is not full of sugar like bananas which means, DC's won't end up having a blood sugar slump mid morning, Anything high in carbs will do this but protein will give energy and keep blood sugar level.
I am glad that you have a good excuse for a trip to Planet Organic, apparently they are getting some liquid raw cacao in, I am looking forward to trying that.
I gave my DD an Epsom salt (magnesium bath) last night and plan to do so tomorrow night. Magnesium is another calming mineral and an Epsom salt bath with a few drops of lavender ensures a good nights sleep.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Are you a nutritionist Tinkus-Pinkus?
scary mum