Fact or Chinese Whispers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ccl

Re: Fact or Chinese Whispers

Post by ccl »

Shouldn't we keep discussions regarding the "real test" to a minimum. It must be an advantage for a "late-sitter" knowing which test may be stressful. I would have loved to give my ds info regarding which test/part of the tests were the most stressful so that he could have stayed calm and known what to expect.
FLG

Post by FLG »

Sorry ccl I thought they were all taken the same say? I've never heard of late sitters. But am new to all this.
mystery

Post by mystery »

ccl wrote:Shouldn't we keep discussions regarding the "real test" to a minimum. It must be an advantage for a "late-sitter" knowing which test may be stressful. I would have loved to give my ds info regarding which test/part of the tests were the most stressful so that he could have stayed calm and known what to expect.
If they can work anything out which helps from this thread, they deserve a place at a superselective!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

FLG wrote:Sorry ccl I thought they were all taken the same day? I've never heard of late sitters. But am new to all this.
Yes, some will sit the papers later due to illness, late applications, etc. But children all have different strengths so will inevitably find some sections more difficult and/or stressful than others. I believe we can discuss it in very general terms, as long as we're not too specific and don't disclose any actual content. Patricia was merely questioning the accuracy of the number of questions reported, which we've all been quick to seize upon! The old test was also quite time-pressured, 80 questions in 50 minutes, but was much easier to prepare for as it had been around for so long and there was plenty of practice material available. What's to say this new test won't also go the same way?
mystery wrote: If they can work anything out which helps from this thread, they deserve a place at a superselective!
:lol:
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

Marylou wrote:
FLG wrote:Sorry ccl I thought they were all taken the same day? I've never heard of late sitters. But am new to all this.
Yes, some will sit the papers later due to illness, late applications, etc. But children all have different strengths so will inevitably find some sections more difficult and/or stressful than others. I believe we can discuss it in very general terms, as long as we're not too specific and don't disclose any actual content. Patricia was merely questioning the accuracy of the number of questions reported, which we've all been quick to seize upon! The old test was also quite time-pressured, 80 questions in 50 minutes, but was much easier to prepare for as it had been around for so long and there was plenty of practice material available. What's to say this new test won't also go the same way?
mystery wrote: If they can work anything out which helps from this thread, they deserve a place at a superselective!
:lol:
I guess it was also "easy" to prepare for because the level of the questions in the GL assessment VR practice papers (on which the Bucks test was based) were pretty similar to the actual tests. It would be possible to have questions which were of the same types as commercially available practice material, but much harder, and with no questions recycled from year to year (to prevent the cheating which comes in from photocopied real exam papers) and with no questions recycled from the practice papers which are on sale (to prevent giving an advantage to children who have diligently been through all 8 practice papers again and again).

Some of the questions in the C E M papers will just take much less time anyhow unless you dither. For example, finding an antonym or synonym is very quick if you know the words listed. It is a very basic question to devise and to answer. However, it's a matter of luck whether your child's extensive vocabulary matches up with the range of vocabulary tested in that particular paper! If you get to the vocabulary of a 16 year old British secondary school student before the 11plus exam these questions would be dead cert for you, whatever your IQ!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mystery wrote:If you get to the vocabulary of a 16 year old British secondary school student before the 11plus exam these questions would be dead cert for you, whatever your IQ!!
Errm - not so sure about that. I know of at least one 20 year old British second-year university student, who reads extensively and has an excellent vocabulary, who was flummoxed by quite a few of them! :?
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Did you sneak out a paper for her then? Or was she one of these professional exam sitters?!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mystery wrote::lol: Did you sneak out a paper for her then? Or was she one of these professional exam sitters?!
Come to think of it, she's quite small and looks very young so could probably get away with it. Like the mum in "May Contain Nuts". :lol:

No - I was going by the practice paper words on here, and words miraculously remembered by some genuine test takers! :)
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ok, maybe I should correct my post to say that if you have the vocabulary of an Oxbridge professor of English you will not struggle with c e m antonyms and synonyms whatever your iq!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mystery wrote:Ok, maybe I should correct my post to say that if you have the vocabulary of an Oxbridge professor of English you will not struggle with c e m antonyms and synonyms whatever your iq!
That's more like it. :D
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now