mental maths book for cem

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

mental maths book for cem

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello,
I bought the s and s level 4 mental arithmetic book for my year 5 child, as although he has no desire to go to grammar, he has been swayed by his bruvs to do his very best in the test anyway. I have no intention of pushing him to try and achieve a grammar place at all, as his strengths lie in other areas than academics, but i promised to help him.
I have been scuppered at the first hurdle though: 1. I recycled the answer book, now can't find another for sale, and have learnt my lesson about quickly marking and then getting it wrong to the amusement of 9 year olds. 2. Should I just let him do it at his own pace, or should i try and speed him up, i think this may panic him, but he knows from watching his bruvs you have to do the questions quickly, what reasonable time should I allow a level 4c child? He knows all the processes, but is a bit of a finger counter.

Suggestions welcome, as this came out of the blue, and i honestly envisaged him just guessing most of the test to kill the time for 90 mins, but if he want's to have a go, i do not want him to be getting upset in the test room...just when you think it's straight forward, they suprise you.
mystery

Re: mental maths book for cem

Post by mystery »

Do you mean book 4 or level 4? See the thread in Maths about this series of books with a link through to a document which shows how they link to nc levels. I would start with the previous book, part way through. You do not need the answe book. They are easy.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You sre probably right, i got book 4, because that is the book his bruvs did in year 5, but if i start him on book 3, i can build his confidence up to book 4. Still wish i had not been so gung ho with my 11plus clear out though, i think i recycled quite a few bits i will now be buying again.
BIzarrely he is ace at nvr, i gave him the bond 9-10 yesterday for the first time in the car, popped into tesco and he had done two sets, and only got 3 wrong! He got all but one of the nvr right on his year 4 cats too, but i had fotgotten, his cats results must have really confused the computer, it was a 6, 6, 9 ! Bless him, I wish the test was on insects, veg growing and nvr, he would stun. I am am glad that he wants to do his best, and also glad that the stuff i will help him with is relevant to his course work, even though the test seems v hard. His brother is sure he has "failed", so he may not be so keen to sit it after OCtober results come home.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I'm in the same position! ds1 is sure he hasn't passed and now I have the lovely task of getting ds2 (yr5) ready for the test. He is an August child, and is slow in doing questions. He likes NVR though and seems to have a knack for it. I'm going to go slow and steady with him to boost his confidence...not now though I need a break!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

SB3 I have sent you a PM.
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now