How to present test results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkus-Pinkus

How to present test results?

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Has anyone else been wondering how to present the test results to their DC when the big day arrives. My DC says she wands to be the first to open the envelope, but I feel that I need to be prepared for the result. Her reaction when she came out of the test was quite extreme after the stress of it and I am worried that if the result is not what she hopes that I need to prepare. I think I may be steering open the envelope and pretending I don't know.
If the result is a good one and I hope it is, then great. But how to deal with it if it is not, is another matter. Any ideas?
mystery

Re: How to present test results?

Post by mystery »

Yes. Tell her beforehand a thousand times how and why the result is meaningless either way! Then when she passes celebrate the grammar possibilities. And if she doesn't, celebrate the other schools.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Damage limitation is essential

Open the envelope and reseal it or put it in a new envelope and pretend you don't know.

Advanced acting is in the motherhood course and you must use it now. :wink:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 2&p=127354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Thank you, that is a useful thread. The Blue Peter method is definitely the way to go. There is one other boy in my DD's class who took the test and she is as worried about him passing and her not passing, as she is as worried about herself not passing (tongue twister, hope you understand what I mean). We as parents have discussed it with them already, and told them that it has nothing to do with how clever they are (they are both level pegging at school), and we have made it clear that if one passes and the other doesn't that it will just be to do with how they coped with the exam. It is so difficult. At least if there are a number of children in a class that take the test, you are sure to have others who have the same result as you. DD is also worried about what she will tell her friends if she fails because, they are all rooting for her. She has asked them not to ask for her results, and has said she will not tell them whatever it is. They are all going to schools elsewhere (many lucky parents can afford indies and the ones who cant will be attending a school that is not an option for us, nor would I choose it). Would I have let DD go through this process if I had known how stressful it would be? I don't know until we get the results.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I asked my dd2 if she wanted to open it and she said no. That made our decision easy.

She didn't even appear particularly bothered. I think she had assumed she hadn't passed, and had the choice of a gs or good comp with a grammar stream, so a win-win situation.
But she had passed. Just.
Audreylawyer

Post by Audreylawyer »

I too have been wondering how to break the news, good or bad. I have not told my DS when the results are due out. I will check them first and then perhaps pretend not to have seen them. I don't think putting them in a fresh envelope would work with him as he is likely to check the postmark :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=27581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
poohbear

Post by poohbear »

Definitely find out first yourself - as ours will also come by post I can easily intercept, dreading it though. I remember when my oldest sons results came - it was like getting my o level results all over again! ( only worse)... he passed and I rushed off to buy a congrats helium balloon, then when I saw him I just grinned and handed it to him - happy days .. hoping to be buying another balloon next month, but who knows, either way will have a bottle of white in the fridge and a pizza in the oven... hehe :roll:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I opened my DDs results. It was addressed to me. It's a rule in this house, we don't open each other's mail, not without asking.

It never occurred to DD to ask me to wait until she got home.

I wouldn't have been able to wait any way. As it was I then tried to contact DH to tell him, and ended up leaving various messages on phones, text messages and email both his work and personal address. Had to resort to phoning Mil so I could tell someone!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

For Bucks primary schools the results are handed out at school, so it is difficult to do a "Blue Peter". I think I probably said in the other thread, at my DCs' school they were told that they were addressed to the parents and they weren't to open them. I don't think it needs to be an issue unless you make it one. If it is addressed to you they shouldn't be thinking it is theirs to open. Mine stood by eagerly watching my face. I have had to deal with both types of result.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now