Gender and 11+ results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Sats are age standardised too.
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

SATs can be age standardised - the tables are included for the teachers to do so if they wish, but it is only an option to do so.

SATs are not age standardised. Ages of chidlren are not taken into account.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Have been following this debate with interest, and was wondering if a winter born child scored a perfect 100% on both tests would it be standardised? Would they actually knock points off for thier birth date???

Its totally incomprehensible if that is the case!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bewildered

The answer to your question is that we will never know, because they never publish the raw scores!

Infuriating.

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

Interesting thought about winter children. My daughter's deputy head said she has never seen a Sept - Dec child get 141, but has seen plenty of May-Aug births get 141 in the same year, when the most clever children were always the Sept - Dec children, and yet they always achieved lower marks than the summer children.

That has always got her thinking and she said time after time she has tried to get the raw marks from the LEA but they would not divulge any information. She could understand why but just wanted to see why the brighter (older) children were achieving lower standardised scores.

My daughter was predicted 135 in the 11+, (she is an Oct birth) and they told us that they knew she could get all the questions right but going on past papers throughout the years, as no child from Sept-Dec had got 141 they thought 135 was about right!!

My friend's daughter (July birth) did not answer all her questions and she still got 141!!!!!!!!

Mel
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Ummm sounds familiar to me Mel. :?

My daughter passed the 11+ for this years intake, but North Yorks LEA only tells you the score if you fail???...................seems rather unfair to me??????

Anyway out of nine kids who took it from her school (my daughter's birthday is 17th October and her friends is in the middle of November)

They both Passed !!!

About five more of them were March to August birthdays and they failed the other two's were both in November aswell and they failed also. :shock:

So I think my daughter and her friend must have done exceptionally well.

We are so proud of them, they will be so disappointed if they don't get an offer on MARCH 1ST :cry:

Footymad.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel/All

If there is a trend and I believe there is for less bright summer borns achieving higher scores than brighter winter borns proves the point that schools should NOT allocate on scores. All those very bright winter borns would not have got into some schools. eg William Borlase who notoriously took 141 downwards, leaving 121 up to sometimes 128s , living yards from the school without a place!

Of course this is all theory, but still interesting/infuriating.

Patricia
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Seems a very convincing theory to me.

I think there needs to be an end to standardisation of scores.

I read somewhere recently that by year 3 primary younger slower learners have caught up to their older classmates anyway.

I do think older kids do have a slight disadvantage going into these tests.

Years ago some kids didn't start reception until after Christmas, but that doesn't happen anymore.(as far as I know)

They've all been at school the same length of time so standardisation should be scrapped in my opinion.

Footymad.
Year 6 Parent

Winter Born Children

Post by Year 6 Parent »

Dear Mel

Do you mind me asking what score your daughter actually got in the 11+. My daughter's birthday is in November and she got 118 and was predicted to get well over the 121.

Regards
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hello Year 6 Mum

My daughter (Oct 19th birthday) got 120, when she was expected to get 135!!

She did get through her appeal though, so we are very pleased.

Mel