Gender and 11+ results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mel

Post by Mel »

Footymad

You are right.

At one of the schools we looked at for our daughter, the headteacher stated that he thought all the younger children had caught up with the older children by the age of 7-8. Of course there are plenty of bright May-AuUg children, and I am not for one minute suggesting that all older children are brighter. This is obviously not the case!!

Mel
Mel

Post by Mel »

Patricia

I totally agree that schools should not take the higher scorers.
Do schools still do that now - I thought it had been stopped? William Borlase must have some young children in their years!!!!

When I took the 12+ as it was then, we were told in the one letter which school we were going to - therefore we knew whther we had passed or failed by the name of the school. There was nowhere nearly as much pressure as there is on the kids today.

There was none of the competition about who had scored higher or lower etc. We just accepted the fact that we had passed or failed!!

Perhaps it is time to go back to that system?

Mel
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

If it goes to oversubscriptin, the boys grammar in Skipton takes pupils on the next highest scores, I think this is wrong.

The school my daughter is trying to attend goes on first pref and distance, fairer I suppose.

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

There is research to show that the effect of age within a school year persists up until the age of 11-12 (ie, when the child goes to secondary school). My child was born in August, so I quite like age standardisation, however, if she was born in September, I might not be quite so keen.

It is all swings and roundabouts and it depends on the birthdate of your child.
Jed

Post by Jed »

As far as I understand it, September-born children are compared only with children born in the same month, October-born with October-born and so on until August. So, in theory, no child should be disadvantaged as they are only being compared with other children born at the same time as them and NOT with children born at different times of the year. I believe that if this comparison showed that, on average, the September-born did not outperform the August-born then there would be no difference in the standarized scores for a particular raw score. However, apparently autumn birthdays always do better than spring who do better than summer (as far as raw scores are concerned) and this is why the standarized table is produced. I do agree, though, that more information from NFER might help convince teachers and parents that the theory really is true.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Yes, allocating on score has now stopped, and so it should, if the child is good enough to pass they should get a place at their catchment grammar.

Agree re 11 plus of years gone by, no tutoring, no books to buy etc etc [ and that is coming from a tutor!]

Dear Guest

Re age effect in school, I don't know the 'true' answer, there are so many differing reports/research, some say 7, others 11/12/ others 15!

Dear Jed

That is what NFER tell us, but there is no getting away with what appears to be an underlying trend, summer born 'seem' to be over compensated in comparison to winter born, would love to see some official figures.

Patricia
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

The main Grammers here in Essex all take highest scores first, irrespective of where you live. Any child from anywhere in the country can attend the school and wil be offered a place first if they score higher that a child from Essex. In fact because of this, only the minority of children come from the area.

Very difficult if you have a child and live in essex, to get them into a Grammer school. They have about 6,800 pupils take the 11+ for the Essex grammers, from all over the country!

Post by Guest »

How do they get there from Scotland
ESSEX MUM

Post by ESSEX MUM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats not the schools problem. I don't think they lay on school buses from there. :lol: :lol:

The Chelmsford schools are a 5 minute walk from the main train station so most children arrive on the train, some traveling up to 2 hours to get there. I know of one family who have a flat locally and the mother and child live there during the week. There are numerous children come in from London, although London has some very good Grammers itself. However, if a child from Essex wants to go to a Grammer out of County it is not so easy, as other schools have catchments.

Post by Guest »

Crazy situation. I know a family who send their children 25 miles on the train. The mother says how awful it is for them to travel this distance and since the Milly Dowler case (I believe she travelled by train) has worried herself sick. I stand and listen. I think - why the **** didn't they go to the local extremely good comprehensive? Their friends would be down the road, the school is streamed anyway . . . totally mad.

I do wonder if it is an ego trip for the parents sometimes . . .