12+ in bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
miltonkeynesmum

12+ in bucks

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi all just quick question after reading posts here and the bucks admissions website still not clear what format 12+ is going to take will it be old verbal reasoning paper or new CEM . Any help is much appreciated . applied for AHS and SHF if that helps
jillburrell

Re: 12+ in bucks

Post by jillburrell »

It looks like Wycombe High School at leastt are using CEM style paper - my guess would be they may well use the same paper the year 6s had, and just apply a higher pass
http://www.whs.bucks.sch.uk/admissions/ ... tage-4mark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

We have also being to try and find out the answer to this!

I emailed Admissions and was advised that they are currently in final negotiations with their late transfer test provider. They will keep the website up-to-date but we will be advised when we receive the letter in December confirming acceptance for the test what it will comprise of. Very clever - tell you mid Dec and test early Jan so no time for any prep!

We are just doing SHF as I do not want to put my child through 2 tests. The above is for SHF as BCC are administering the test for them and 3 other grammars.

AHS & AGS are testing together and you have to provide them with various bits of evidence to qualify for the test. BCC is not doing their test for them.

At this point for SHF we are making the assumption that the test will be along similar lines to the new 11+. Which suits us better to be honest.

it that helpful but all I can find out at this stage!
abeb

Post by abeb »

Does anyone have any further info. about the 12+ test on January 11th?
Will it be the new style, CEM version or the previous Verbal Reasoning type?
Are we going to be left in the dark until BCC decide to update their website? It would be great to have some clarity on this if at all possible!
miltonkeynesmum

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi thanks for all your feedback all agreed we are going to be kept in the dark until nearer the test! Bucks have now put in their website that test details will be posted December 20 . Great right before Xmas. I think it is discraceful they are not telling us before what format the test will take especially considering what most if us had to go through with the fiasco we had to go through last year and the appeal process and lack of reliable advice given. :(
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:Hi thanks for all your feedback all agreed we are going to be kept in the dark until nearer the test! Bucks have now put in their website that test details will be posted December 20 . Great right before Xmas. I think it is discraceful they are not telling us before what format the test will take especially considering what most if us had to go through with the fiasco we had to go through last year and the appeal process and lack of reliable advice given. :(
The announcement was made the week before Christmas last year that the new 11+ tests would be
administered by CEM. IMO very poor management or sadistic.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

The announcement was made the week before Christmas last year that the new 11+ tests would be administered by CEM. IMO very poor management or sadistic.
Why is it very poor management or sadistic? The announcement had to be made at some point. It could be argued that doing so before a holiday period gave parents time to digest the news and plan for the nine months ahead. When is a good time? In the summer holidays when some would be away and would complain that others got a head start? At the start of the academic year when everyone is settling into the new year? After Christmas - too short notice for some? I don't think there is a time that would suit everybody so any date is as good or bad as any other. It isn't compulsory to read the guidance the day it is published after all.

As for the supposed notice for the upcoming 12+ test format, I support the short notice and don't see why it is disgraceful that we won't know the format of the test well in advance. Anything that levels the playing field by limiting the potential impact of coaching is a good thing in my book. Some notice is important so that children broadly know what to expect but weeks and weeks of notice isn't necessary. It might not be a popular view on here but there you go.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

anotherdad wrote:Anything that levels the playing field by limiting the potential impact of coaching is a good thing in my book.
+1
abeb

Post by abeb »

Good timing in my book would have been well over a year in advance of the change to the new format, for example an announcement last December that the format of the 11 Plus was going to change in September 2014.
abeb

Post by abeb »

Beaconsfield School @BeaconsfieldSOE has tweeted that the 12+ will be CEM format.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now