How Many Questions in Verbal / Maths / Non-Verbal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cantona

How Many Questions in Verbal / Maths / Non-Verbal

Post by Cantona »

Hi All

I have my DD's 3 Scores and her final STTS - but am still wondering:

How many actual questions were there overall in the 3 Sections ie Verbal, Maths and Non-Verbal?

Knowing that, and the Weightings of 50 / 30 / 20 - I will be able to determine how she did in the 3 Sections.

Does anyone know this detail please?

Thanks
Okanagan

Re: How Many Questions in Verbal / Maths / Non-Verbal

Post by Okanagan »

Cantona wrote:Knowing that, and the Weightings of 50 / 30 / 20 - I will be able to determine how she did in the 3 Sections.
No you won't - the standardised scores don't have a direct linear relationship to the raw scores - they are measures of performance relative to the average. To give an extreme example if the average raw score was 10/80 then a raw score of 10 would be a standardised score of 100, just as if the average was 70/80 then a raw score of 70 would be a standardised score of 100.

What you can do is undo the weightings - double the verbal score, multiply to numerical score by 10/3 and multiply to nonverbal score by 5. Any of those over 100 mean that they did better than average in that section, any below that they did less well than average. For scores between about 70 and 130 you can estimate a percentile (i.e. what approximate percentage of candidates scored less on that element) by subtracting 50 from the score.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Okanagan wrote: What you can do is undo the weightings - double the verbal score, multiply to numerical score by 10/3 and multiply to nonverbal score by 5. Any of those over 100 mean that they did better than average in that section, any below that they did less well than average. For scores between about 70 and 130 you can estimate a percentile (i.e. what approximate percentage of candidates scored less on that element) by subtracting 50 from the score.
This is brilliant thanks for this - are there any calculations you can do with scores outside these ranges to estimate a percentile?
Cantona

Post by Cantona »

Thanks Okanagan. Now I understand it.

Purely out of interest then, do we know how many questions there were of each type (V, N and NVR) in total (or per paper even)? :?:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Cantona wrote: do we know how many questions there were of each type (V, N and NVR) in total (or per paper even)? :?:

We have had parents mention total numbers but even that is difficult to assess. Take a look at the following thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=33708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CEM will change the number of questions per section each year. May have 20 questions on comprehension one year but 25 the next.

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now