Revision

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Berks test is in November.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sue

I agree with everything so far, but the bottom line is what your son is able to cope with! This tutor is demanding too much of your son, without a doubt. He/She doesn't recognise the other issues that children face entering Year 5, and the homework involved. Perhaps the huge amount of homework he is being given by the tutor reflects how little is being done in the tutoring sessions? Or the Tutor is (as my son's did) just giving vast amounts of homework to get a good pass rate?

Set a time limit on the total amount of work (11+ and school) to be done each evening. If necessary, break that up into manageable chunks, with breaks in between. Give priority to the 11+ stuff over homework for the few weeks until half-term, and tell the school that you are doing that. Make your misgivings clear to the Tutor.

Provide rewards for doing "double homework/11+" at the weekends.

If you start blaming yourself for choosing the wrong tutor, I hope you will take comfort from knowing that I did too. I'm wiser now, but we all make our mistakes on our first children. :oops:

Very good luck Sue
Sally-Anne
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Thanks Sally-Anne and everyone for your comments. I think we will continue with the classes, we only have a couple of months to go and these are on a Saturday morning. We will then try to get my son to complete 1 paper every other day and leave the weekends as weekends apart from the lesson on a Saturday morning. I will speak to my sons new year 6 teacher regarding school homework and will do what we can using the documents supplied by the tutors. Good luck everyone doing Bucks only a month to go ! Sue

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone. Just registered so first post...

Sounds like you've made the right decision. That seemed like far too much work.

Our son is taking the 11+ this year and we are aiming to get him to do a paper every 2-3 days or so. He's getting consistently 84-92% and with time to spare so he's very close but its the vocab that he needs to practise, so we are advised by the tutor to concentrate on vocab more than the papers. Trouble is since coming back off holiday and returning to school he has gone right off learning words. I think its due to 'return to school blues' and hopefully he'll pick up this week so we aren't pushing him too much. Strangely he's up for doing the papers and actually enjoys doing them.

We don't want to be pushy parents but he is very close and it would be such a shame if he didn't pass due to not knowing a couple of words.
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi Guest

It sounds like you are doing the right amount of practise. When my son was doing the test two years ago I tuitored him. In the few weeks leading up to the test I gave him two or three a week to do. He didn't do the Vocab Word learning as didn't know about Patricia's long list of words back then but I just took him through some obscure ones out of the dictionery that I could think of that may come up eg Ear and nest = earnest. This was quite boring to be honest and he much preferred to do the papers.

This time round with my daughter who will do the test neat year I will use Patricias list and some of the games she suggests. If you don't have them you can download the, off here for free.

Good luck to your son with hsi practsie scores it sounds like he will pass.

Mel
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Anonymous wrote:Hi everyone. Just registered so first post...
Welcome to the Forum! Now you have registered, the trick is to Log In as well. :wink: Next time you log in, click on the box that says "Log me in automatically each visit".

Good luck with the vocab - it tends to be a "boy problem", I'm afraid. Patricia's list can be found here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php

Sally-Anne
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Thanks for the welcomes and also for the links. I will check these out.
jayne

vocabulary downloads

Post by jayne »

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the lists from the link above.

I am unable to obtain any of them!!
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

no. as an alternative try clicking the right mouse button when pointer is over the one you want and select 'save target as'
jayne

vocab downloads

Post by jayne »

Thank you very much!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now