Tutor's verbal reasoning CD2 test 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yplx

Tutor's verbal reasoning CD2 test 2

Post by yplx »

please help on these questions:

Compound Words: (fore, go, spell) (red, dress, by)
The answer is gored. However, goby is also listed on dictionary as a word.

Odd 2 Out: Red/Yellow/Blue/Green/Orange
the answer is green&orange. But my daughter chose green and blue because these two are the cold color and the others are warm color. Is this right?

Closest Meaning: (publish, release, issue) (recover, retrieve, rescue)
I simply did not get this.

Thanks!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi yplx

I am working away from the office at the moment so do not have direct access to the CD questions.

However I will try to give some feedback.

I have checked the Oxford English Dictionary for GOBY.
You are correct it is listed as a word "a small marine fish"
We will arrange an alternative answer option that will retain GORED as the correct answer, and will remove GOBY as an alternative answer.

We chose GREEN and ORANGE as correct answers because RED, YELLOW and BLUE are primary colours.

If you RELEASE someone you can also say that you RESCUE someone, the question requires the student to choose the two words that are CLOSEST in meaning. If you have a look at all the other answer options, RELEASE and RESCUE are closest in meaning.

Thank you for your feedback on these questions, it is through postings such as this that we can work to improve our products. You will be able to upgrade the CD free of charge with the amendment to GOBY made. We will change BY to BUY.

Regards

Mike
yplx

Post by yplx »

We chose GREEN and ORANGE as correct answers because RED, YELLOW and BLUE are primary colours

Thanks for the explanation. Still, I will argue on the second one about colour. I agree to the basis of your answer, but is it not valid that green and blue are cold colors?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Most 11 year olds are not artists or interior designers in my experience, yplx, and thus would never think of warm and cold colours in this context.

Sally-Anne
yplx

Post by yplx »

Then it is a bit bizzard for my daughter. As I have found out on not one occassion she use the cold/warm color criteria to answer questions!

Shall I suggest her to forget this for the time being? :twisted: I might have suppressed her aritst's talent!

is there an appeal case?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear yplx and Sally-Anne

I would have to agree with yplx on this one. Schools as part of their art lessons would as a matter of course discuss primary colours in addition to warm and cold colours. The question is therefore ambiguous.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The colour question did not consider "warm" and "cold" colours, we thought that children of 11+ age would be aware of primary colours. We also wanted to put questions in that fell outside the normal format of questions to make the children think a little more.

The Tutors have written over 3340 Verbal Reasoning Questions, surely we can be allowed one ambiguity.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

Not one person is perfect.

However as mistakes/ambiguities are found they should be put right.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Patricia

I like the question, primary colours have a definite description whilst warm/cold colours are subjective and can change from warm to cold depending on what colours are placed next to them

ttp://www.paintcafe.com/en/couleur/langage/vocabulaire/

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

There is more than one answer, some children will find one, some will find another...

Patricia.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now