Number of school places in Bucks compared to 121 scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jpk

Re: Number of school places in Bucks compared to 121 scores

Post by Jpk »

After my experience last year, if anyone needed therapy, it was me..... :D .
bourne

Post by bourne »

I would say most of the pressure onto the DC comes directly or indirectly from the parents. In my experience a normal 10 year old child cannot have such strong feelings about their next school. They would have been brainwashed into wanting to go there so badly. They should be enjoying these years with a lots of time spent with their own parents and close family and friends having fun! There should be plenty of coaching for the 11 plus,DIY or Tutoring, going over all the types of questions with lots of practice. However this should not be done in such a way that the DC thinks its the be all and end all. They will perform better when they are relaxed and stress free.

Some parents are so desperate to get their child into a selective school that they push the DC so hard into thinking they must do well in these tests. DC cannot be made to feel that they are failures at this early age. Because if you think about it, its odds on that most of the children who take these tests will not qualify(more than 70% will not)!

So get things into perspective and take a reality check. There are a lot worse things that can happen to DC than not qualifying for a selective school.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Well said, bourne.
Mandy15

Post by Mandy15 »

Couldn't agree more Bourne.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Just to echo others I totally agree with Bourne.

I also wanted to add my ds's experience of the test to hopefully stop some worries as to the times etc. My ds found some of the sections very tight on time (and there were some he didn't finish) but with others he finished them with a lot of time left over. I am sure that there were other children who romped through the sections he didn't finish and may have struggled with the ones he found the timings generous on. Children (and adults!) all have different strengths and weaknesses and I think it may be human nature slightly to focus on the things we find hard when giving feedback on tests?

So to any parents of children taking the test in the future (as my dd will be in 2 years) please don't think this is a monster test - whilst it's a very different test from the old one I don't think it's any more pressurised. I also think the differently timed sections can be a good thing as then that section is over and done with and the child has to move on rather then possibly being bogged down by a tricky question for a huge amount of time. Also the different answer sections minimise slightly the problems which can occur with tracking. I certainly don't think my ds has been left traumatised by the experience - actually I think he's pretty much forgotten about it. We emphasised all along that the grammar or upper would both provide him with fantastic opportunities and were both fantastic schools and I genuinely think he would be just as happy to go to either. Infact he said over the weekend that if he didn't get into his 1st choice grammar then he would go to our upper rather then our other catchment grammar :roll:

So please everyone don't lose any sleep over what the test involves.

edited to add - I think the fact that there is an appeal / review process is a recognition that some children may just under perform on the day and that hopefully this ensures that these instances are corrected and those children qualify.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now