Dr. Challoners High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: Dr. Challoners High

Post by Sally-Anne »

avraje wrote:I'm wondering as DD1 is Year 5/6 (mixed classes in their school), can we request for that Year 6 place in Elangeni? :P Does it work like that?
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. She will only be admitted to the year group appropriate to her age.
How long will it take for applying for a place, receiving available offers, then appealing and getting a result for that appeal?
BCC quotes up to 20 school days for a school offer, but at this time of year I would imagine it would be quicker than that. The same probably applies to Appeals, because they are fairly quiet at this time of year and there should be good availability of panel members.

You will need to process everything at your end as fast as possible, and I certainly wouldn't wait for a Council Tax bill as evidence. Admissions should be able to accept your rental agreement plus evidence of steps you have taken to dispose of your current home. I don't think anyone will quibble about an address several hundred miles away. You are hardly going to move back there and commute each day!

I suggest that you make both the Admissions and Appeals teams aware that the children will not be receiving any education in the meantime. I am sure that they will do all they can to move things along for you. Despite that, it could easily be the end of this term before the whole process is complete, or even early next term.
Children have to be off school until then, which is worrying.
You do also need to take into account that the success rate for Primary appeals (excluding infant class size appeals) is only around 30%**, so you should consider starting the children at the offered school/schools, rather than waiting for the outcome of the appeals.

** N.B. The stats on BCC's website are wrong somewhere. 17 appeals were upheld out of 32, but the percentage quoted is 32%! I suspect the percentage is correct and the figure of 32 should be nearer 53.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It may be worth phoning Chalfont St Giles as that's not too far away and is a far better option than what you might be offered ...
Nearlytimetopanic

Post by Nearlytimetopanic »

According to the vacancy list on hertsdirect.org, both St. Paul's CofE primary in Chipperfield and Bovingdon Academy have places in years 3 & 5 (dated 1st Nov). If you don't mind a drive to a good school, these two may be worth a call.
Good luck with the move and with finding a school you're happy with.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

In addition to Guest55's excellent suggestion, there's St Mary's CofE in Amersham Old Town – they often used to have spaces (don't know about these days as my two are teenagers now), and they also used to have mixed classes…

You won't get into Elangeni from Little Chalfont, I'm sorry but you just won't. Alternatively there are some very good independent options around if that is viable for you financially, at least in the short term.
avraje

Post by avraje »

Busy packing, dropping to say a quick Thank You for all your ideas so far, much appreciated. :)

Sally Anne, thank you. I have taken your advice and applied by email last night attaching tenancy agreement and solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts and completion date. Fingers crossed :)
Busymumoftwo

Post by Busymumoftwo »

Don't give up on a place at Little Chalfont Primary! People do move away, and move children to private schools for the final pre-11+ boost. When we moved to the area I was told there were no places, but since then we were offered a place for our daughter last year in to Year 3 (we decided not to take it as I couldn't face a split school run) and again this year we were offered a place in Year 4 (we turned it down as we weren't all that impressed by the class teacher when we looked round). I know someone who tried out Year 3 for a few weeks last year then moved their child back to his previous school too, so mid-year places must come up from time to time.

Admittedly, a place has never come up for our eldest, who is now in Year 6.

I don't know how in-year cross-county applications work, but Chorleywood (Hertfordshire) has three good primary schools and is only 3 miles from Little Chalfont. Might be worth a phone call to Herts LEA?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Being in a Bucks school gives you the benefit of sitting the 11+ in your own school. If you choose a non-Bucks school check whether it is a partner school.
avraje

Post by avraje »

Still no news from council about school places. Whenever I ring they say 15 working days from date of application.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you rung around schools?
avraje

Post by avraje »

Hi guest

I have only rung little chalfont and elangeni so far. Vodafone coverage is nearly dead, so no internet on my phone. We'll get virgin connection tomorrow, must google the above suggestions and start ringing I guess.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now