Sorry, I haven't been around for a long time but given the time of year, I thought it worth re-posting this:A true story of some Bucks kids
Many years ago, Kate, Rob, Gary, Will, and Pete all qualified at 11+ (or 12+, as it was then) and went to Grammar School.
- Kate was a brainbox, did stunningly well in her 10 O Levels and 4 A levels and went to a Redbrick university
- Rob got 9 reasonable O levels and went to Polytechnic
- Gary got 6 O Levels and left after one year of sixth form to work as a clerk in an insurance company
- Will and Pete constantly messed about at school, did disastrously in exams (2 O Levels each) and left school immediately.
So what happened to them all?
- Kate worked for one of the big five accountancy firms and now lives in a very nice house in a South Bucks village
- Rob is self-employed in the technology sector and is ‘comfortably off’ in a South Bucks village
- Gary is a postman and just about gets by financially. Lives on the edge of Wycombe
- Will runs a fairly successful but very time-consuming small business. Lives near Gary.
- Pete made his £million running printing businesses and then emigrated to Canada.
So surely Pete was the most “successful” in life? Well not quite, that prize goes to Tom.Who on earth is Tom and where did he come in?!!
Well he didn’t pass the 11+ at all, went to upper school and flunked all his O Levels.
He is now a multi-millionaire business owner living in Beaconsfield.
But if he had also gone to Grammar School, he just might have got a handful of O Levels and gone to work as a clerk in an insurance company.....