SWBGS vs JHGS vs. ROYAL GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daddy123

SWBGS vs JHGS vs. ROYAL GS

Post by Daddy123 »

One of my friend is moving to Bucks soon.
He asked me which of the below school will be better for his DS.
SWBGS or JHGS or RGS.
He is planning to be based in based near High Wycombe or Marlow area.
Any suggestions from anyone who knows these 3 schools....thanks
scary mum

Re: SWBGS vs JHGS vs. ROYAL GS

Post by scary mum »

It will entirely depend on the child and his family - does he want mixed or single gender? What are his interests and strengths? They are all good schools.
scary mum
FloBo

Post by FloBo »

Hi Scary mum. Do you mind sharing what interests and strengths you believe are suited to each of these schools - in particular the difference between JH and RGS? I am keen to find out for my own DS. Thanks for anything you are able to share.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have no idea - it is just my opinion that other people cannot tell you what school is best for your child - I'm sure forum members can give information about the schools - strengths/weaknesses/atmosphere etc, but they can't say which school would be best for some unknown child, which was the question. The best thing to do is visit, particularly during the school day, and ask questions.
scary mum
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

scary mum wrote:It will entirely depend on the child and his family - does he want mixed or single gender? What are his interests and strengths? They are all good schools.
Thanks Scarymum. Agree its a personal choice.
After reviewing most schools, they shortlisted these 3 schools.
They are ok with mixed or single gender.
Their son is good in maths and keen in sports.
Ranking wise RGS is ahead followed by SWBGS and JHGS.
But, keen to hear strong points from parents who have kids in these schools.
Y

Post by Y »

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: be sure to consider the subjects each school offers, and what is compulsory at GCSE. Whilst this can of course change, experience suggests that it changes little over time. Here's a random selection of info about GCSE choices at two of the schools:

RGS and JH take a different approach with languages, and JH only offers Latin as a twilight from year 10 (I think). RGS even offers ancient Greek. However, at RGS, French is compulsory to GCSE, whereas JH boys have a freer hand in language choice.

DT is compulsory to GCSE at JH.

Boys at RGS have to do either Geography, History or Classical Civ to GCSE.

RGS does not have an accelerated curriculum, and I believe this also to be true of JH. No idea about the other of the three schools, but personally, I would avoid an accelerated curriculum like the plague.
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

I don't think DT is compulsory at JHGS any more - DS1 is in y10 at JHGS and is not taking a DT subject.
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Y wrote:I've said this before, and I'll say it again: be sure to consider the subjects each school offers, and what is compulsory
Boys at RGS have to do either Geography, History or Classical Civ to GCSE.
RGS does not have an accelerated curriculum, and I believe this also to be true of JH.
Thanks Y. Useful info to consider before deciding.
FloBo

Post by FloBo »

Thank you from me, too. Really helpful comments from you all. :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I believe JHGS has been improving steadily over the past few years though – maybe one of the mods could confirm this? Certainly both the boys and the parents I know there are very happy with it.

Re. RGS, it is a rugby school if that is a factor. They are passionate about it and are the most successful school in the country at U15 level so the focus is on that much more than other sports.