Is 80 % Good enough ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:OK perhaps you're still no better off ...
:lol:
Never will be Dame Hels! Best that you leave an innumerate mortal like me to her sad fate - a life without standard deviation. Sigh.

Off to Rehab for other types of deviation ... :wink:

Sally-Anne
jayne

standardization

Post by jayne »

So does all this basically mean that if there is a 'brighter' cohort taking the test this year then a candidate will have to score 90% rather than 85% , regardless of age?

I am more confused than ever!!
willow

Post by willow »

thankyou for the reassurance Patricia, regarding "silly mistakes" , the problem areas were vocab (especially opposites and similars) she would generally randomly guess these! the questions with numbers in brackets 5 (15) 10. She panicks when she sees them but when we go over the answers she usually finds the answers before me! we've practiced these repeatedly she lacks condfidence. She could loose as many as 7/8 marks through mistakes and random guessing hence her scores are quite inconsistent. we tried some of the tutors papers-9b and 10b 70/80 and 11 and 12b 72 and 73/80 Bright Sparks paper 1 74/80. I wondered if the tutors papers are all of equal difficulty and how they and bright sparks compare to the real test.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Jayne - yes! Also some cohorts are larger [e.g. present Year 9] so the top 30% is 'better' than in a smaller cohort ....
Catherine

Re: standardization

Post by Catherine »

jayne wrote:So does all this basically mean that if there is a 'brighter' cohort taking the test this year then a candidate will have to score 90% rather than 85% , regardless of age?
Yes, this is absolutely right Jane. Excluding standardisation by age, the average standardised score (111 in Bucks) is given to pupils with average raw score. The pass mark is calculated accordingly and consequently will vary from year to year depending of the difficulty of the papers but also on the cohort level.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now