Synonyms & Antonyms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sonasona

Re: Synonyms & Antonyms

Post by sonasona »

Here are some very good freebies......scroll down the page to find the printable worksheets :)

http://www.englishforeveryone.org/Topic ... tonyms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.englishforeveryone.org/Topic ... phones.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

This is a great freebie website, I only found it over Christmastime and now use it a lot to re-inforce some areas.
Word of warning though, if you want to give yourself a real kick in the confidence, ie realise how thick you are, then try out the grade 11/12 questions of sentence completion :!: Of course if you can remember the whole English dictionary then you will now feel justifiably smug as you fly through the vocabulary, not get stuck on one for some time, before looking it up. :oops:
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Really grateful sonasona, looks like a great site.

Cheers.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

sonasona/southbucks3 or anyone please..

Which grade listed in the site for Antonyms is the realistical expectaion for children who take 11+ this September?

And which level in the Printable Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheets? Beginning, Intermediate or Advanced?

TIA.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You won't need grade 11/12 and intermediate is enough for bucks, but I don't know about other areas, but doubt many kids are expected to know neophyte...(advanced level)
The trick with these is not to try and overload, it simply does not get absorbed, start simple and work on repetition, so maybe use the same quizzes but swap the top word for its synonym in the list etc.
Also the synonyms my ds encountered in cem bucks were so very close in meaning, and you had to choose the very closest word in a tiny amount of time.
There are quite a few synonym/antonym aps if your dc has a device of some kind, darent advertise them here, but have a rummage.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

This is brilliant, thank you. :)
Marylou
tensed2017

Post by tensed2017 »

patricia wrote:Hi MerlinFromCamelot

Panicking not allowed...

There are currently 3 types of cloze for the Bucks Test.

1. Word Bank cloze: Passage with a number of words missing. A word bank given above the passage (with more words than are missing)

2. Stacking cloze: Passage with words missing, where each missing word should be 4 or 5 words are stacked on top of each other in a vertical list. Child chooses correct word from that stack.

3. Find the missing word cloze: Passage with words missing, above each missing word is a bank of 5 words in a boxed horizontal line. Child chooses one word from the line.

Some books use a cloze where letters are missing from the word and the child fills in the gaps to produce the correct word eg C__NA__ word is CANAL but this does not lend itself to a multiple choice answer sheet so will probably not appear in the Bucks Test.

Copy passages form childrens books and newspaper (First Post) take out some words, substitute as above and you will have some good practice.

Words see my link here for words used in CEM tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=33888

Follows a link to an old list of mine which is still suitable.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... -reasoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of reading discussing words. Make up your own questions for synonyms and antonyms. Play scrabble - allow your child to use a dictionary.

Patricia
there was a list of some words repeating in 11 plus exams, i cannot access that any more. any clue?
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Hi All,
Only just seen this thread.
Please can I ask where the '...three types of cloze test...', info comes from Patricia? (sorry, don't know how to copy your post in - or tag you!)
I'm conscious that my question might seem loaded/sceptical written down...not my intended tone at all...just wondering as I was of the belief that no-one really knew, so I have spent the past year giving my son all sorts of question types in the (misguided?) belief that it was wise to cover all bases in the hope that the unknown will be covered somewhere along the way - eek!
I have used a variety of materials, not just for Cloze but for VR, Comp etc too (I'm a DIY'er). I often wondered about some of the mock papers/materials out there, as some didn't lend themselves well at all to multi choice questions (hence why I have posted more than once asking, "Are you surrrrrrrrre they are all multi choice?" as a result!)
It would be really helpful to know what the question types are for the other sections if there is confidence that there are three types for Cloze. Do you knowPatricia? Does anyone else? Does anyone know how I can tag Patricia even? #forumfunctionalityfamiliarityfail :lol: :lol:
Thanks in eleventh-hour-panic advance!
Steph
Dev1

Post by Dev1 »

Word Bank cloze: Passage with a number of words missing. A word bank given above the passage (with more words than are missing)

here on top of passage they give 8-10 work bank and student needs to use them on passage ......

2. Stacking cloze: Passage with words missing, where each missing word should be 4 or 5 words are stacked on top of each other in a vertical list. Child chooses correct word from that stack.

example for this1 - The City of London is very (then choice of words given in vertical stack ) ( Vulnerable, Venerable, Valuable) - to flooding, (Surge, Surges, Surged) from storms in the Atlantic Ocean ........................

3. Find the missing word cloze: Passage with words missing, above each missing word is a bank of 5 words in a boxed horizontal line. Child chooses one word from
the line.

example * Hummingbirds are b_aut_fu_ little creature, whose name derives from the

I hope I am correct
greengekho wrote:Hi All,
Only just seen this thread.
Please can I ask where the '...three types of cloze test...', info comes from Patricia? (sorry, don't know how to copy your post in - or tag you!)
I'm conscious that my question might seem loaded/sceptical written down...not my intended tone at all...just wondering as I was of the belief that no-one really knew, so I have spent the past year giving my son all sorts of question types in the (misguided?) belief that it was wise to cover all bases in the hope that the unknown will be covered somewhere along the way - eek!
I have used a variety of materials, not just for Cloze but for VR, Comp etc too (I'm a DIY'er). I often wondered about some of the mock papers/materials out there, as some didn't lend themselves well at all to multi choice questions (hence why I have posted more than once asking, "Are you surrrrrrrrre they are all multi choice?" as a result!)
It would be really helpful to know what the question types are for the other sections if there is confidence that there are three types for Cloze. Do you knowPatricia? Does anyone else? Does anyone know how I can tag Patricia even? #forumfunctionalityfamiliarityfail :lol: :lol:
Thanks in eleventh-hour-panic advance!
Steph
patricia

Post by patricia »

greengekho wrote:
just wondering as I was of the belief that no-one really knew, so I have spent the past year giving my son all sorts of question types in the (misguided?) belief that it was wise to cover all bases in the hope that the unknown will be covered somewhere along the way - eek!

Steph
We do not know what may arrive in future tests, however we do know what has happened in the past.

You are doing the right thing by covering all bases.

There are 4 types of cloze.

1. Word bank

Passage with words missing - bank of words above (normally more words than are missing)

2. Stacking cloze

Passage a word missing - 4/5 choices for that missing particular word all stacked on top of each other. Followed by a further word missing with 4/5 choices for that particular missing word and so on …

3. Where does the word come from

Passage a word missing 5 choices given in a word bank above that particular missing word. Followed by a further word missing and 5 choices above that particular word

4. Missing Letters - this is the one that I did not originally think could lend to multiple choice, however it can…

Passage, a word missing a few letters from that word given - need to work out the correctly spelt word and mark the missing letters on the answer sheet.

Type 4 has never been used in the Bucks test, however it should be practiced as a “just in case”

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now