Walsh

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

I gave Walsh paper 6 to my son to do yesterday and half way through he said he was finding it hard and wanted to give up. We told him to keep going and he did finish it but said he guessed a few. He knew he hadn't done well and it really knocked his confidence. He even missed 3 questions but I think by the end he had resided himself to defeat.

I marked it and he got 74% which is one of his lowest scores. Of late hes been getting 84-90%. Whilst marking it I would say that it was a hard paper with some very difficult words for a 10 year old.

My main concern is that if the difficulty level of this paper is the same as the actual test then things aren't looking good but judging by some comments here it would seem that it is a harder paper than the real thing ? I hope so.

Yours
A slightly concerned parent

*edit*
Ooops, just noticed this was an old thread. Perhaps I should have started a new one.
chez

re walsh papers

Post by chez »

Hi,

The Walsh are harder than the real 11+ paper especially the vocabulary.
Some of the Walsh papers are harder than others.It does vary a bit.
They are good for practice and for learning new vocab but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it or let your son worry about his lower score.
My child also scores slightly lower in Walsh but has learnt an awful lot through perservering and doing them

All the best with the 11+ exams.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

My son found the Walsh papers really hard,but he did do them in the school holidays,when he isn't at school his marks do tend to drop.One of the papers he only managed to do 55 questions in the time allowed.
Being back at school now,we have moved on to the Bright Sparks papers and he is back up to doing 75-80 questions and getting marks in the high 80's%,which for Gloucestershire is a good pass!

Regards,
Gloucestermum.
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Thanks for the replies. Thats good to know. Strange thing is my son did quite well with Walsh papers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 but this no. 6 was a real blip. I think I'll try him on something else next time to try and boost his confidence.
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi My son has been given these for his homework this week from his tutor. Knowing they are harder than the test is useful. I won't stress too much if his scores are not great.
Thanks Sue.

Post by Guest »

In what format did the tutor give the Walsh papers to your son? Have you purchased the papers? or have the papers been provided by the tutor, if they have in what format have they been provided? are they originals, or are they photo-copies?
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi guest. The papers were supplied by the tutor. We were given 3 original books they were not photocopies. Why ?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is illegal to photocopy papers, but this a strange question. I am sure that guest will want to explain...

Post by Guest »

My son also goes to a tutor in Bucks, but instead og giving us Walsh books to work out of he heas told me to go and buy them as well as Susan Daughtrey and IPS. Other than the resources he has provided for the tutor sessions, I don´t know whose papers he uses, we have not been given any books or papers to work on. It just seems generous of this particular tutor that suesole is using.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

Some tutors build in the cost of supplying books when they set their rates. After all, parents can be unreliable about actually getting hold of the materials by the time they are needed. I think my son's piano teacher might have the odd comment to make about that. :oops:

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now