Question for Patricia (and others?) about 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know the numbers taking the 12 plus this year.does age come into will being 11 years 8 months make any difference.Scored 120 when 10yrs and 2months.
Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Unfortunately I do not know the numbers of children taking the test this year...looking at previous years, there is always a greater number taking/passing than there are places.

With regard to the age standardisation see Etiennes posts above.

Patricia
hopeful

13+

Post by hopeful »

My daughter is due to take her 13+ on the 6th April she has been practising for the test using the Tutor series VR papers downloaded from this site and has consistently scored 77/80+ are these a lot easier than what she is likely to encounter next week?

If anybody can recommend any other papers I would be interested to hear about them. She seems to have a good grasp of all the different question types but her weakest area is definitely choosing the words with similar or opposite meanings!

Does anybody know if the 12+ and 13+ applicants sit the same exam or are there 2 seperate papers?

Information regarding this exam has been very limited and I'm starting to get last minute concerns!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hopeful

There are 21 different types of questions that apply to Bucks 11 plus, but that's over 2 papers, your daughter will only sit one paper, which will contain some of the 21 types, but not all. There also seems to be an odd one where they ask, for example, add up the position numbers of the vowels ie simple maths problems.

You could use either IPS or Susan Daughtrey..Bright Sparks series [ not the books 1-7] as additional practice questions/tests. Vocabulary is the big problem for most children.

I believe the children take the same test.

Good Luck

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

I know that for our local girls (Bucks) grammar, if a girl is doing 12+ or 13+ they also have to do maths and English. Also the VR papers are harder, and more questions in less time than the 11+.

Will someone correct me if I am wrong, but that's what my friend told me and her daughter did 12+.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Late Transfer into years 7,8 and 9 is verbal reasoning, unless you are applying to Beaconsfield High or The Royal Grammar, both foundation schools and therefore have their own admission tests which normally include Maths, Science,English and a language - cross curricular not verbal reasoning

For children taking the verbal reasoning test, for the other grammars, it is 85 questions in 45 minutes.

Entry into years 10 and 11, all grammars use their own criteria, tests usually the same as the foundation grammars

Perhaps your friends daughter took one set of tests for Beaconsfield High and a verbal reasoning test for one of the other grammars.

Hope this answers your question Mel.

Patricia
Etienne

entry to late selection test

Post by Etienne »

Apparently Admissions have been using the following (hitherto unpublished?) criteria in determining whether or not a child is allowed to sit the late selection test for KS3 entry:
1. Two level 5s at KS2
2. Above average predictions for KS3 - where available (schools may be understandably reluctant to make predictions for pupils who are only in year 7).

Children who do not have two level 5s or are expected to achieve average/below average KS3 results, are likely to be refused entry to the late selection test, even if they have the headteacher's full support. It is possible that the 11+ score, if there is one, will also be taken into account.

Applications for children who do not do SATs (e.g. those at private school) are presumably judged on their own merits. I assume that Admissions will be looking for a very high standard in English, Maths and Science.

Appeal panels are not bound by these criteria (if parents decide to appeal against refusal to test). They may take into account all factors, such as whether a respectable score was achieved at the 11+, the level of support from the school, and any mitigating circumstances. Historically, appeal panels have tended to uphold appeals against refusal to test, except where the candidate appears to stand very little chance of passing.

Grammar schools continue to handle the arrangements for entry into year 10/11.
Etienne
Etienne

entry to late selection test

Post by Etienne »

Please note that I have edited the post above.

I think it probable that Admissions will want to be transparent, and will explain their policy when they publish the arrangements for 2007 entry.

In the meantime I hope that such information as I have gleaned will be of interest to parents contemplating the late selection test next year.
Etienne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Etienne

In total agreement, mentioned on another 12 plus thread, the secondary head report is checked by an 'administrator' who has a checklist, if the report doesn't match this list, no testing, even if the head has said the child is a suitable grammar school candidate.

I 'discovered' this information, when I took on my first late transfer student, he had KS2 level 4s and therefore predicted KS3 6s, not good enough they 'expect' level 5s and 7s, even though in reality not ALL students go to grammar with 3 level 5s and as a consequence, generally, do not get their 7s.

Fortunately, the appeal panel, saw through this, allowed him to test, he passed and is about to sit his GCSEs, predicted all As.

As a matter of interest his KS3 results were one 6 and two 7s, one mark off an 8 for his maths, that would have been a jump of 4 levels!

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know if there are any places in year 8 for Sept at AHS,and if loads qualified at 12 plus.Anxiously awaiting allocations on 9th June.
Mary
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now