upper schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

upper schools

Post by Guest »

Which is the best upper school? what do people think of Highcrest?( in wycombe) or schools in the surrounding areas. Any info. Need to put down prefrence :? Thanks in advance!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go round at look at those you are interested in - check whether you are likely to get a place by looking at last year's allocation profile [how close to the school you need to live]

You need to go by whether you like the 'feel' of the school - does it match what your child needs?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

As you mention a Wycombe school, presumably you live in or near Wycombe? If you can clarify approx imately where you are, it will help people give you relevant answers. I'm Chesham/Amersham, so can't advice re Wycombe area, but I'm sure others can.

Post by Guest »

Its very hard to tell by going to the open evenings. People seem to have good selling tactics. I was hoping if anyone has personal experience of Highcrest, William Ramsay, Great Marlow, Holmer Green, Misbourne Sch. The reason I put all these down is because you have to put atleast six schools on the list of choice :? Ofcourse there is the grammar schools but I have got some idea of those. (fingers crossed)

Post by Guest »

Hi Above guest, I went through this 2 years ago and we were told we did not have to fill all 6 places and to just put down the schools we actually wanted (provided of course they were within catchment or you reached the relavent qualifying standards. Things might have changed though.

Regards
Val
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I was suggesting you go round during the day - I agree about Open Evenings having had to present at them for many years as a teacher!!!

Post by Guest »

Ooops! I didn't know that you can visit during school time. Good Idea. Thanks
Also, thank you Val for your reply too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is also worth looking at their websites and reading newsletters - they tend give you a flavour of the place.

You do need to live quite near some of those you name to get a place - check in the admissions booklet for the distances last year it will give you an idea.
njg

Post by njg »

Although our son is now at grammar following the 12+ he did spend a year a Great Marlow.
The pastoral care is top notch with regular communication (much more than grammar). High quality teaching and retention of good staff. For the less able there is much support. It's downfall is for the more able who tend to just coast and aren't challenged. I would have no doubts about sending kids there.
A big thumbs up for Geralyn Wilson the head, she's up against put keeps on making huge strides forward.
Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much njg. Helps a lot to be able to hear a good word about a school from a parent rather than people who are involved (staff).