Today's Times (light hearted comment)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Today's Times (light hearted comment)

Post by hermanmunster »

mystery wrote:
Where is Skipton? And what is Seacroft doing in there - wonder if they meant Scarcroft?
Looking at 2 different lists here - these are the most "Glamorous" usually means big fancy houses and boutiquey shops.

The "best list" was headed by Skipton ...
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Well I'm sad to report that the rain and drizzle this morning is distinctly lacking in glamour!

Am intrigued as to how they define glamour though :?: I did see Ulrika Johnsonn in Waitrose a few years back but (no disrespect to Ulrika) I didn't feel that was an overley glamorous experience? Out in our villages though we have had Matt Damon, George Cloney, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and James Corden (to name a few) filming recently (obv not all at the same time) which was fairly glam!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Tis a peculiar list...can't imagine the tews have much but thatch cottages?

Residents, house prices, cars, functions, shops, facilities (private golf clubs and exclusive leisure clubs) calibre of cricket pavilion lunches, lack of the likes of me. :lol:

I deffo feel a bit scruffier in Marlow than I do in prince's risborough, but then I feel positively Audrey in high wycombe. :lol:

Dh swears he was stalked by Ulrika about 7/8 years ago...He kept meeting her all over after being involved in some construction work on her house!
I remember his friends laughing at how casual he was...typical dh...hiya, how you doing...type greeting, whilst they stood slack jawed.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

5. The Duchy ( Harrogate ) no please, don't make me go there again - I'll get lost !
7. Frome
8. Primrose Hill ( London ) students ++ :oops: at least there used to be
9. Salcombe, Devon
10. Chipping Norton
13. Bray
19. Windsor
27. Ullenhall ( Warwickshire ) ?sure I used to go riding here?
29. St Andrews ( Fife ) students ++
30. Cambridge Students ++
Well have spent a fair bit of time in or near this bunch... didn't twig they were supposed to be glam ???
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Chipping Norton is the one that always makes me laugh - famous for the Chipping Norton set - except they live "near" Chippy, not in it. I have been to Rebecca and Charlie Brooks' house near Chippy, (yes, got past security - by simply not seeing them and charging past in my battered old beast of a car, although the journalist from ITN was turned away), which is next to Dave C's house, near Chippy and have laughed as Jeremy Clarkson grounded his Ferrari in the entrance to the Somerfield car park. And then there is the lovely permanent gipsy site, near the rugby club...very glam...

Southbucks, I have it on good authority that to change from "normal" to "glam" for Marlow to Henley or Windsor, you simply need an oversize handbag (pocket dog optional) and oversize sunglasses (whatever the weather).

However, the most exciting thing I have heard today is that your Waitrose is a swinging centre.... :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Southbucks: I hope it goes to press as it is. The Seacroft / Scarcroft (I thought it had to be Scarcroft) mix-up is an extremely good one! Scarcroft has had the hold on the priciest houses in the Leeds area for many a decade now and Seacroft has not ever been associated with anything positive - they will be chuffed (but extremely surprised) and meanwhile Scarcroft misses out on another price booster!

Perhaps Seacroft will now attract some glam visitors from the South East on their drive through up to Ponteland; the locals may benefit from the "trickle-down" effect if the new glamour tourists dare get out of their Mercs.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

However, the most exciting thing I have heard today is that your Waitrose is a swinging centre.... :wink:
All right Finbarr Saunders calm yourself...You are the naughtiest forum member ever!

If we are celebrity scoring, we stood next to paxo at the local point to point, he chatted to the boys, but they just looked completely vacant and clueless as to who the old man was! I never ever spot celebs, dh is great at it, they just look like people to me. Even when I had to visit houses of the rich and famous in my professional capacity, the agents always used to tell me to sign this and that secrecy wise, and I had not a clue who the person I was chatting away to was.

Why were you visiting the Brooks residence, are you their cleaning lady? :lol: touche!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just fancied it...!! Will pm you! Don't think I would ever get a job as someone else's cleaning lady - I only keep the two boys and the dog to give me a cast iron dirt excuse!! Now let me go back to my sick bed - literally! DS2 has "shared" his winter vomiting bug with me, DS1 and the dog that is staying with us for his holidays (that could have been guzzled breakfast barf, however...)