RGS High Wycombe losing 6 superb teachers to private sector!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

RGS High Wycombe losing 6 superb teachers to private sector!

Post by southbucks3 »

The head of rgs is winding down to retire next spring, we knew that two English teachers including the head of year seven were leaving to private, now we know four more are leaving including the best male physics teacher in the world (according to ds1), although not sure where he is going.

Is this a general trend or is rgs having a bad year, the lure of the private sector is just too strong!
jabba7

Re: RGS High Wycombe losing 6 superb teachers to private sec

Post by jabba7 »

Hi,

Do you have names or are we allowed to discuss names as curious who they are?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Because of proximity we've inevitably lost a few really good teachers to Stowe.... :(
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think that now schools are academies the 'line' is easier to cross for some people.

RGS has often put teaching adverts in state and private sections of the TES.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Not ready to name them jabba, just in case son number one has his wires crossed, but he knew a lot of details and four of the teachers are couples.

The head sited the difficulty in recruiting staff as a reason why they could not go over pan, when presenting the schools case at the appeal. This was when he was just trying to recruit two English teachers, he must be really struggling now. The trouble is the grammar teachers go private, the upper or comp teachers try and go to grammar and the uppers and comps struggle even more and end up training several nqt, or have unsettled temping teachers.

They really need to match the private sector wages to win this battle, they cannot rely on ethics anymore, as like guest55 says, the line is finer with academy status.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Another example of the private sector r*ping the state system...It is unsurprising that staff go - higher wages and less term time and often in nicer surroundings and job stability with less "paper pushing" but it does appear to make the gap wider and wider, sadly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

make the gap wider and wider, sadly.
The Bucks GS far outperform Stowe so there is no gap there ... often teaching in the private sector requires weekend teaching so I'm not sure why teachers 'cross the line'. Pressure comes from parents saying 'Why won't Tarquin get an A* - we've paid!" so it is all relative.

GS teachers are attractive to the private sector as they are often more up-to-date with changes.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks SB I understand.

I have a friend in London who move from state to private as that way her DC gets to go to the private school for a small fee and as the schools in her area were poor this seemed her only real choice. I guess this is another reason to move. I know of one couple leaving RGS who have young children so this could possibly be a reason.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The widening of the gap isn't really grammar to private, but the loss of good teachers to private from grammar that trickles down to comps and uppers.

The incentive I think is primarily wage, my friend is a physics teachers who sold out to private after just two years in state schools, the same amount of time she spent doing a government funded transition course with a 2k top up. She was offered ?k more to move to a very small girls school in a lovely location, but yes she does get stick from pushy parents.

I have to say working at stowe must be rather lovely. (Well if you remove all the teenage boys anyway)

I suppose just like consultants, doctors and nurses, until we pay more for the state sector they will move across, but the nation cannot afford to pay more, so the wealthy few benefit and stuff the rest of us. :roll:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

southbucks3 wrote: I have to say working at stowe must be rather lovely. (Well if you remove all the teenage boys anyway)
It's co-ed now, but I think boys might still outnumber girls.
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now