please help a desperate mum with scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Good. We will be here for you. I shall be here a lot also. My son doesn't find out until March. Argh!!! :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nina

I am really angry for you about the teacher's letter. I hope that at some stage you will correct her - keep her sweet, but at least make sure she doesn't keep perpetrating the crazy myth about doubling the score!

A couple more points. If your daughter is predicted 3 x Level 5 SATs and her score for the 11+ is a near miss then you can Appeal. We can help you on that nearer the time, and I am encouraged by the fact that the school are supportive of your daughter. That would be an essential part of an Appeal.

If she doesn't come close enough for an Appeal (or if the Appeal is not successful) then please consider the 12+. There are children who - for whatever reason - do not pass the 11+ but then sail through the 12+ - my own son was one of those. Although places are not reserved for those who successfully pass the 12+, AHS was heavily undersubscribed this year, so there is a good chance that there will be vacant places for your daughter's year as well.

Lastly, if you are more than 3 miles from the Mandeville school then Bucks have to provide transport for your daughter to get there.

Do keep coming back for any help you need - as Ed's Mum has posted, there are plenty of obsessive Forum watchers here to advise you and keep you sane. :D

Kind regards
Sally-Anne
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Hi Nina

Unfortunately your daughters school have told you completely wrong information with regards scoring. They definitely don't take the highest scored paper and double it. They use a complicated method called 'Standardisation' to work out the score out of 141, taking into account age of child at date of test. I'm no expert at this but at the age your daughter is I think she would need to be getting about 72/80 (90%).

Try not to worry too much. She will have tried her best and that is all we can ask of our kids. She may well have done it but there is always the option of appeal if she doesn't quite make it. Lots of people here will be able to advise you after Nov 23 if its necessary.

Plus if she doesn't get to go to her chosen GS then its not the end of the world. She is getting good grades at school so if she doesn't make it to GS then she will surely flourish at an upper school.

Good luck
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

An extra difficulty is that it is very hard to get into Mandeville unless you live very close - again you can appeal if you are offered another.

On your CAF put AHS first then Mandeville - then anywhere else you would consider -

What ever happens stick with us and we will support you -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nina

Can I just clarify - are you actually in catchment for Mandeville, but a long way from it? If not, which is your catchment Upper school?

Also, may I suggest that you register on the forum? You can then receive PMs which will allow us to post information that we wouldn't put on the open forum.

Bottom of the page, click "register". No nasty spam, we promise.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

I have a standardised scores table which I downloaded about three years ago from a previous 11+ website link, (link no longer exists). It is an excel spreadsheet. It says that a score of 62 out of 80 with an age of 10yr 10 months = a standardised score of 120 - so a real borderline. However, in the exam she may just have pulled that one or two more questions out of the bag.

Of course, I cannot guarantee this table is correct - I feel that the number of correct questions required to get 121 is increasing every year as increasing numbers of us have children tutored and/or use the extremely helpful papers available on this site and elsewhere. Although I downloaded it 3 years ago, it could be older than that.

I suppose you just need to know that your daughter did the best she could. I wish you all the very best for Nov 23rd.
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

My child did Bucks 11+ test in March 2007 (living overseas, unexpectedly moved back to Bucks in Jan 2007), at age 10yrs 7 mths (yes, late August birthday). For this particular sitting raw score of 64 earned a standardised score of 119.

Unsuccessful at appeal :-( Gained 3 X level 5's at KS2 SATS despite only being in year 6 from Feb 07 - July 07 (overseas school not same academic year). Now loving year 7 at local upper school - I am getting over the disappoinments, and now wondering what to do about 12+???

Best wishes supporting your child whatever the outcome.
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi Nina

Firstly I haveto say I am really soory for you as I remember what an anxious time it is and nothing anyone will say will make you feel better as no one can tell you for sure if your daughter will pass but lets hope we can atleast offer you our support.

You saod she has now taken the test how did she feel when she came out, does she think she got enough right?

I too do not wish to raise your hopes but will tell you this. My best friends son was always top sets in primary school and took learning in his stride always picking things up easy. She was quite confident about the 11+ and I didn't blame her. Accept when he did his practise tests, what a shocker for her. He scored between 48 and 59 tops. He was predicted all level 5 in year 6 SATS. My friend was distraught as coudln't believ he fell so short of what we were told by our very knowlegeable Deputy head would be a pass score 66/80.

Well on the day he came good. Not the highest but he did get 121 and 124 I think it was and he is now thriving at Grammar School which is whre he should be.

This just goes to show that things can really turn out different on the day.

Remember she did the best she could and you must be very proud of her so keep her letting her know that whatever the outcome.

I wish your daughter and you the very, very best of luck and please let us know how she gets on.

mel
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Wiki wrote:Now loving year 7 at local upper school - I am getting over the disappoinments, and now wondering what to do about 12+???
Hi Wiki

Very glad she is happy where she is. However, if you and she still believe that GS is the best option, do have a go at the 12+. It will probably pay dividends in the later years at school, where some upper schools are weak.

I would recommend that anyone whose child is within reach of the 11+ - say 116 or more - to have a go at the 12+. I suggest that you register her and then make up your minds nearer the test date (usually early April).

Sally-Anne
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

todays the day nina, how did she get on? I've got everything crossed for you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now