Aylesbury High and Henry Floyd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi

Could anyone advise me please as to choice of grammar for my daughter? We live in Aylesbury.

She is bright and expected to pass the 11+ but is not hugely motivated to work very hard at school. She's also quite shy and quiet, so for these reasons I don't want her in a high pressure environment. I'd like her to feel comfortable working at her own chosen level.

Also, I instinctively would prefer her in an all-girls school but wonder if that comes with it's own disadvantages re cliques, and also not being the best prep for the real world. Could anyone share their experiences of single-sex and mixed grammars please?

Thanks!

Julie
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Floyd is smaller - the pastoral care highly rated by parents I know.

Parents tend to say AHS is more pressured -

Did you go round both during the day? You can get a 'feel' for the place

What are your daughter's strengths? Look at the school websites for an idea about extra-curricular opportunities.
anita

Post by anita »

My daughter attends AHS she is year 8 and says she "loves her school" there is a lot of support amongst the girls in each form she does work hard an hour and a half to two hours a day which she diligently completes I don't have to push her the school does that, she liked the Floyd when we looked this year for my son who sat the tests this month her comments were if your really clever you should be at the High but if you don't want to work at your best at all times then the Floyd is better. Hope this helps.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Anita,

I think that's a bit harsh! The pupils at the Floyd are expected to work hard and do well - yes, it is maybe not so pressured but that is healthy!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Have you looked at the dcfs league tables?
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/cgi-bin/performa ... 50&Year=06
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would be wary of looking at raw results - especially just one years results - even a Grammar school is more than the academic -
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

From this link you can get to the home page and find the tables for the previous years.
The league tables results are effectively only a part of the whole picture, and not really the info that Julie wanted, but the link is there...
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Here's a link to a topic that may interest you
Single-gender vs mixed?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=917
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hi

Thanks for all your responses. We have been round the open days and got a feel for the schools and have asked for current parents' opinions, and the comments posted here more or less confrimed what we had gleaned. Very helpful.

Great web-site - thanks! :lol:

Julie
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Be interested to know what you decided - if you join you can PM me rather than posting
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now