Wycombe High vs Beaconsfield High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
drummer

Re: Wycombe High vs Beaconsfield High

Post by drummer »

bucksmummy wrote:I have heard much better views on Wycombe High. Their pastoral care us highly praised and a couple of girls from our school last year have been very unhappy at Beaconsfield. They feel it is very clicky with many athletics places etc only for children who pay to attend such sports privately. I looked around both schools but found teachers more friendly at Wycombe even though we are Beaconsfield catchment .
I have a child and know many children at BHS and can sadly verify that in our (and many that we know's) experience bucksmummy is 100% correct both in terms of clickiness and on the sports side.

And while I have no personal experience of WHS again I agree with bucksmummy as I have only heard good things, especially about "outstanding pastoral care"

Ultimately, I would go with the nearest catchment school(logistics, friends etc) unless you have very strong feelings either way.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Guest55 wrote:
The facilities at Becky High seemed more dated and limited than Wycombe, but this can be explained by the stingy funding from the LEA (?)
Errr - no - a previous HT overspent by several millions without permission ...

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/lo ... g_project/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh for goodness sake Guest55 this is not the first time you have referred to what happened back in 2010 ... please move on... Becky High has, the debt has been repaid and the school is moving ever forward.

I, for one, have a daughter who is happy at Becky High, as is her group of nine friends, this week alone she attended rehearsals for Grease, Christmas Panto, Book Club, Maths Club, Swing band and helping in the LRC at lunchtime.

She is not particularly sporty but did join in netball in Year 7, the better players being chosen to represent the school... as happens in all schools. As for the pastoral care, I will forever be in Matron's debt for getting my DD through a teary start at the school.

Catty girls and nasty boys (where applicable) are a part of school life I'm afraid, no school is exempt and you really have to think about what the school offers your child and go from there.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I was just pointing out that funding was a direct result of a Headteacher not the LA.

Students also do have a history of bullying:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... paign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Yes, I was aware of this ancient news too.

Fortunately, neither of the people mentioned in this old news story were appointed and we now have the very competent and able Headteacher that we do.
JHGSBHSMum

Post by JHGSBHSMum »

BHS is looking for a new head teacher again following today's announcement that Ms France is retiring at the end of August 2015.
gowest

Post by gowest »

I would like to revive this thread as it's the last day to decide on school allocation :? Any points of view would be highly appreciated from DP of DC who attend either school. Thanks!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is another thread running about BHS at the moment (compared to DCHS, not WHS).
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As scary says, there is a thread running already, here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=44934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and there's another thread about WHS here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=44754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have locked this thread because we don't want to reignite the controversy over financial matters at BHS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now