What is the average score (range)?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: What is the average score (range)?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, that is correct.

I understand where you are coming from on this, but to be honest, if your son has achieved 121, he will be bouncing off the walls; if he hasn't achieved 121, he will probably slink off and play on his X-Box, or whatever.

Either way, I honestly don't think he will have an awful lot of interest in a detailed analysis of his scores.
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

I agree that 80% of children will not pass. And I agree many will slink off to xbox or whatever. BUT these children care and need to feel valued. I for one will happily talk about his result and make him feel valued and appreciated.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sam I am , the way forward (if) your ds has not achieved 121 is to make him feel that he is special and appreciated in other areas of his life not whether he got above average in the 11+ One and a half hours of test is only a tiny indication of how much anyone can achieve long term, his amazing progress in year 4/5 is the thing....My boy is exactly the same, he hit his level five year 6 targets in year 5 after romping through sub levels he had previously not cared about. I am very proud of him and he knows it, but I am also aware that any knock in confidence could get him gawping out of windows again; so i have been concentrating on helping him with an amazing topic poster and his previously unknown and frankly weird ability to instantly grasp the desk top publishing programme.
Yes you can big up his best area score, but imo it's best to shuv it in a drawer and forget about it until they bring the subject up. The more you talk about it unprompted, the bigger deal they will think it is, he will be far more interested in what is for pudding.
As he finds out friends scores just chat about school options and the year six and how it will be lots of fun and a chance to really prepare himself for big school.
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

Thanks SB3. Good advice. Perhaps I will introduce him to the world of layers in Photoshop.
kara123

Post by kara123 »

Hi,

Just got the letter. It says the mean score is 100 but does not tell us the standard deviation used. The max score used to 141 but now is something like 180 i hear. Does anyone know the standard deviation?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - why do you need that?
kara123

Post by kara123 »

@Guest55 - Call me a nerd but was just figuring out how many kids between DS and pass mark ....... as you can figure it out from mean and standard deviation.
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

Nothing as precise as standard devication is made public. Guesstimates only.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

SAM I AM wrote:Thanks SB3. Good advice. Perhaps I will introduce him to the world of layers in Photoshop.

:lol: if he masters that he is a genius, my Photoshop disc was nearly used as a frisby many times, mind you be afraid...You will quickly discover photos of yourself with the dogs head!
Honestly though, anything he is good at and enjoys doing at school big it up and encourage.
Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now