Disastrously low score - re-mark???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Disastrously low score - re-mark???

Post by Sally-Anne »

For a remark, you need to contact the Admissions team.

They have a live webchat that I am told will be open tomorrow morning - black tab on the RH side of this page: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... fer-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give that a try and see where you get to.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Hi, I hope it is ok to add that there was a situation in our school last year where someone was expected to pass and didn't (I don't know the exact score). The child's paper was remarked and it was found that he had not pressed hard enough with the pencil for answers to be picked up. He had actually passed!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
supersop60

Post by supersop60 »

That is very comforting to know - whether it applies to my son or not..........
Thank you! :)
Ticketmaster1

Post by Ticketmaster1 »

Hi. It's the same story with my son. He's been practicing for over a year and he's a bright boy. We got a score of 57 and were very shocked and devastated.

:(
MumFromBucks

Post by MumFromBucks »

Have you requested that your children's papers be remarked? I'm in the same boat and put in the request this morning.
Last edited by MumFromBucks on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

Same problem here as well.
Something is very wrong, my child was considered borderline by their headteacher and back in May was working at levels expected at the end of Y6. They were given a score of 63, they have never scored this bad in a test before and were not a nervous wreck on the day of the test.
We were told by the head to make sure they were entered for the test but they were given a lower score than children recommended by the head not to take the test.
I don't have so much of a problem with them not passing although am upset, I am just angry with the score given, I do not believe that that is their score.

I am in two minds about applying for a remark as county give you no proof that a remark has actually taken place (I want to see the test paper and they won't let you see it).
buckyballdad

Post by buckyballdad »

Same issue here: Daughter had an overall score of 78. She is working at level 5 in both maths and english, was very confident following exam and thought she had done really well. She has never scored that low in any of the mock exams either. Although I accept that she could have had an off day (was not nervous either), the break down on the back of the score sheet is more bizarre. Her strong areas always used to be VR and NVR whereas she used to score average in maths. Although score for maths this time was average as expected, the scores for VR and NVR were way below average. Not sure what to do with this...
sunshineonarainyday

Post by sunshineonarainyday »

I spoke to my child's teacher yesterday, they said that they have found that with the new test that Grammar schools now just want the children that are the quickest at doing test's. They said that they are getting many of the most able children being given very low scores, these children are academically at grammar school level but were just not fast enough for the new test. Yet some children that are academically lower and will struggle in grammar but were tutored for the new test will now have grammar school places.

I suppose at least I now know that secondary schools will now have quite a few children attending that academically should be in a grammar school. Let's just hope they push these children.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

In my experience the upper schools are starting to do just that. DD (now Y12) is at a Bucks upper school and has a full set of 'academic' GCSEs, i.e. triple science, maths and further maths, English x 2, an MFL and a humanity. The vast majority of her friends have the same.
OldMaD

Post by OldMaD »

Hi Sunshine...

My DS failed last year with no chance of Appeal despite being a bright/expected to pass well kind of kid by the school. He is now at Great Marlow and is flying. They stream the children by ability and his stream is only for kids with all Level 5's and 6's in KS2 Sats. Great Marlow really push these kids are they will be the success stories for the future for the school. From what I can see so far, the work he is doing is comparable with my DD when she was in Year 7 at Borlase.

I hope that your local Upper School reflects the Great Marlow model and endeavours to get the best out its children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now