The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Re: The OoC argument - Results day 17th October

Post by Tolstoy »

aks2621
Bucks was so kind that they sent the papers to her primary school to take
I have to say I am very surprised at this considering what we had to go through this summer on order for our DS to take the test and if this is the case then I hope it will be changed. I do not like to think my taxes are being used to accommodate individuals needs in this way as it could prove very expensive in the long run and is certainly not a good use of educational funding.
aks2621

Post by aks2621 »

Tolstoy wrote:aks2621
I have to say I am very surprised at this considering what we had to go through this summer on order for our DS to take the test and if this is the case then I hope it will be changed. I do not like to think my taxes are being used to accommodate individuals needs in this way as it could prove very expensive in the long run and is certainly not a good use of educational funding.
I never asked Bucks to send the papers at her local school. They themselves sent it. Not my fault, like Sutton exams, i was ready to take exam in bucks. If there is flaw, there is flaw in system...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tolstoy wrote:selection by appeals ....... most definitely selects the right DC academically
I think appeals more often than not come to the right conclusion - but they're not perfect! Panel members are being asked to take subjective decisions, and they are fallible.

(That probably strengthens your argument! :))
Etienne
Dollydripmat

Re: RESULTS DAY 17TH OCTOBER: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Post by Dollydripmat »

scary mum wrote:
I realise that people living in the leafiest borough of ‘em all feel a sense of entitlement and that gives them the right to demand an explanation as soon as they suspect someone might have stepped in.
I don't think there's any need for that. You may not be familiar with the bucks area, but all children are entered into the exam unless they are actively withdrawn from it. This is because we have a completely grammar/upper system, with no comprehensives. The idea is that 30%, give or take, will go to grammar school. Unfortunately highly tutored children from outside Bucks use the exam, either as a free mock, or just in case they decide to move, and push the pass mark up, meaning Buckinghamshire children who should have been able to pass are left without a grammar school place, and in some cases there are empty places in the grammar schools due to those who had no intention of applying for a place. These children may then have to go to a very (in some cases) unsatisfactory upper school. And THAT is why the good people of leafy Bucks don't like 11 plus tourists from mikes away who are unlikely to take a place at the local schools. And breathe :)
You couldn't have said it better, I feel exactly the same we don't have the luxury of good comps!
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

kittymum wrote:Sona I've just realised I've quoted your post at the start of this - crossing my fingers for your dd and Kendrick :D
Thanks kitty mum.....CEMOsas and Diet Cokes on me 8)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

aks2621 wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:aks2621
I never asked Bucks to send the papers at her local school. They themselves sent it. Not my fault, like Sutton exams, i was ready to take exam in bucks. If there is flaw, there is flaw in system...
I didn't say it was your fault :)
chilledsonnervousdad

Post by chilledsonnervousdad »

Edited by moderator
Our objections are based more on the fact that your son sat for a test where you seem not to have read recent admission policies and, I may be wrong of course, but you do not seem to have not visited the schools either.
The schools I visited are Royal GS, DCGS, SWBGS, Amersham, Chesham. I can offer snippets from my visit to each of these if I dig deep but I remember vividly the interesting one I heard a SWBGS where a child in talk said that her grandmother went to that school, then her mother and it was only natural for her to go to that school. Though I found it very interesting, but for no specific reason I liked the technology workshop better.

It is worth mentioning Chesham, I think it was, where they take OOC children and Aylesbury where they said that it isn’t fully subscribed in most years so definitely put it in the CAF.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

[Edited by moderator]
It's not vitriol, it's debate born of frustration with a system we have little control over. And you seem to be thoroughly enjoying it :). As an aside, all Bucks schools take OOC pupils if there are places available, the ones at the edge of the county tend(ed) to have more places. You can read the admissions policies on line.
scary mum
chilledsonnervousdad

Post by chilledsonnervousdad »

kittymum wrote:
sonasona wrote: The Bucks schools admission policies, as Guest55 has said have been in place for ages, also as you are well aware they are all academies and so set their own policies so it would really need to be schools you were speaking to re admissions rather then Bucks - perhaps that is where your problem lay?
[Edited by moderator] please read what I have already said twice. The date was 14th November till last year, if not many before that, but was suddenly changed to 1st October this year. And even though it is 1st October for the first round, one can move into the area and apply for a place in second round that happens sometime in March.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Eh? I never said that :?