RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jabba7

Re: RGS vs JHGS - how to choose?

Post by jabba7 »

To be fair to those reading this we had a delightful year 8 show us around and he was very informative :D

There was a crash this morning so I don't think it is normally that bad but it was particularly awful today :shock:

I think we should all go with instincts and thank our lucky stars we have a choice :D
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

I'm glad it went well and that the traffic gremlins did as I asked today - the more people that are persuaded to RGS, the more space left at JHGS. Just in case :)
LookingforinfoMum

Post by LookingforinfoMum »

We had the complete opposite experience on our visits HalsGal! The two boys showing us around at JHGS were excellent. Goes to show just how much the 'tour guides' can affect things. Do appreciate that we should not decide based on this but this does make an impact.

We live under 1/2 a mile from JHGS and struggled with the JHGS vs RGS decision. Eventually decided on JHGS and submitted the form yesterday! Hope the upward trend continues at JHGS.

By the way, I thought there is a new 3D printer at RGS? Pretty certain the older boy mentioned it on the tour...
Last edited by LookingforinfoMum on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

No, luckily we won't base it on this mornings visit alone, as I mentioned the previous visit was an entirely different affair. Nor do I blame those two boys, they were young and obviously not that confident in their role - that's not their fault. I think that the older children usually (though not always!) are able to talk to adults more confidently and can offer more about their experience of the school.

I am not trying to be horrible about JH just airing my disappointment in not getting a proper feel of the school. No offence intended.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think the tour guides are an important factor. We were shown around one school ( boys grammar ) by a 6th form girl who had only just arrived. Complete waste of time as she didn't know anything about the lower school and how it worked. It didn't put my DS off but I always had a warm spot for the other GS where two really friendly Y8/9 boys showed us around.

In our case it probably wasn't very good planning but in your's it's tricky to know how DC will react to the situation and if they are keen to help it's important to encourage them. Practice makes perfect.
LookingforinfoMum

Post by LookingforinfoMum »

Not at all HalsGal, just wanted to agree with you on the huge impact of the tour guides. Fact that our experience was reversed was just incidental :D For months we lost sleep over the exam and now we worry about making the right school choices for our children :cry: Guess this is just the start of the journey (as my friends with older children tell me)! Good luck to all of us, parents and children alike :D
HalsGal

Post by HalsGal »

I agree about the worrying, I thought it would all be done with once the results were out but now I'm worrying about the right school - it's mad because they're both great schools!!
JHGSBHSMum

Post by JHGSBHSMum »

I have a son in year 8 at JHGS. He is very happy and we are really impressed with the school's senior leadership team. The Head even plays cricket with the boys in the summer term. The school is very business-like: communication from school to home is good and expectations are clearly set. We are extremely happy with the choice we made.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thank you. :D that's great to hear.

Just reading this week's news and information pupil parent sheet, the club choice is phenomenal, the new newsletter is really a bonus, keeping parents involved in what's happening every week.

Also good to read of the brilliant gcse results this year too, deffo on the up from when we decided for ds1!