Travel option from Pinner/North harrow to Chesham grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum2004

Travel option from Pinner/North harrow to Chesham grammar

Post by mum2004 »

Hi,
My DS has qualified in Bucks 11+ exam. I am planning to apply for Chesham grammar school.
We live in out of catchment area - "Pinner". we are new to this area. It would be a help if you will share the travel option from pinner/harrow to Chesham for my son.

As I am aware of , the only option is to take met line from harrow on the hill/North harrow and that's why planning to relocate near to one of the train station.

Is there any other option that people use such as Car pool, coach service etc ?

Thanks in advance.
Kingfisher

Re: Travel option from Pinner/North harrow to Chesham gramm

Post by Kingfisher »

Mum2004, Pinner is also on the Met line and is on the same branch as Chesham; is that not an option?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Kingfisher wrote:Mum2004, Pinner is also on the Met line and is on the same branch as Chesham; is that not an option?
I am perplexed by that as well. Pinner is closer to Chesham than Harrow-on-the-Hill. :?

Loads of kids get the tube from that area - much quicker than driving, especially since they got rid of the shuttle service between Chesham and Chalfont.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Sally-Anne wrote: I am perplexed by that as well. Pinner is closer to Chesham than Harrow-on-the-Hill. :?
Umm ... sorry, but the pedant in me can't ignore that. No, it really isn't!

(I grew up in a house adjacent to the met line and used it regularly. Not only is it many more stops between Pinner and Chesham, compared to Pinner and Harrow-on the-Hill, it's several times further, and 4-5 times longer in terms of time - 51 mins compared to 11.)

Whether that's relevant or not, I couldn't say.

(Sorry. As I said, I'm a pedant ...)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Rags, I think Sally-Anne meant that Pinner is closer than Harrow-on-the-Hill to Chesham… :D
Rags

Post by Rags »

Rob Clark wrote:Rags, I think Sally-Anne meant that Pinner is closer than Harrow-on-the-Hill to Chesham… :D

Ahh, right - THAT makes sense! (I did wonder if I'd misunderstood it.) Apologies, then, Sally-Anne :oops:

However, that then leaves the issue that from Harrow-on-the-Hill, you can get the Chiltern Line mainline train, which is significantly faster than the tube. If that makes a difference to the calculations.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yes I agree, I live in Amersham and there's a company I do some work for in Pinner. I often find it quicker to get a Chiltern Line to Harrow (beyond Pinner), then come back a couple of stops on the Met Line. I would say Pinner to Chesham was a perfectly do-able journey even for a 10-year-old.
mum2004

Post by mum2004 »

Many thanks all for your response.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

Hi

My daughter has been commuting to CGS since 2011 from Pinner and its a perfectly doable journey. In our area ( Pinner) a few other children have also secured places there and we now operate a carpool to the station on a rota basis. My son has just passed the Bucks exam so has hopes of also securing a place at CGS , so let me assure you the train is full of children going to various schools in Bucks and your son will soon get used to the journey.

Nia1999
mum2004

Post by mum2004 »

Thkx Nia11999
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now