2015 Test Date Announced

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsH173015

2015 Test Date Announced

Post by MrsH173015 »

Next years test date has been released on Bucks website as Thursday 10 Sept. Familiarisation on 8th Sept. Results Fri 16th Oct.
Guest55

Re: 2015 Test Date Announced

Post by Guest55 »

This might be subject to change after a call to move it; keep an eye open.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Well if they do stick with this date then we truly do not live in a democratic society.
They were warned by several sources about "mock" testing last year and did nothing. To follow the same path after it became startlingly apparent that the bucks test was used as a mock for berks children and others, suggests that the authorities simply do not pay attention to their residents.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The date was announced to schools several weeks back ... the meeting on 19th November may well bring a change.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Guest55 wrote:The date was announced to schools several weeks back ... the meeting on 19th November may well bring a change.
I wish I could believe that would happen! As someone with a child taking the test in September I find the whole situation deeply depressing :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

southbucks3 wrote:Well if they do stick with this date then we truly do not live in a democratic society.
They were warned by several sources about "mock" testing last year and did nothing. To follow the same path after it became startlingly apparent that the bucks test was used as a mock for berks children and others, suggests that the authorities simply do not pay attention to their residents.

I take your point, but if Bucks does their test last, won't Berks get used as a mock for Bucks?

CEM does not provide identical tests for all these different authorities (or if it does, the purchaser is rather foolish not to be have stipulated that they don't want this to happen in the contract documentation) so they're not truly mocks --- just people trying out the feeling of being in an exam room, surely. Whatever date the Bucks test is, you could get used as a "mock" for children doing indie exams later in the year. I'm not sure that one can ever stop people who wish to do that doing that (hat's off to them on their parenting skills, I'd never get my child doing an unnecessary exam ) - presumably the current timing suits the whole exam machinery system and the primaries who give space for the exams and isn't worth changing for the "mock" reason?

I wonder why Kent isn't having similar issues - we're a bigger authority than Bucks with an opt-in system, approx 13,000 sitters and enough grammar places for everyone who passes?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mystery wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:Well if they do stick with this date then we truly do not live in a democratic society.

I take your point, but if Bucks does their test last, won't Berks get used as a mock for Bucks?

CEM does not provide identical tests for all these different authorities (or if it does, the purchaser is rather foolish not to be have stipulated that they don't want this to happen in the contract documentation) so they're not truly mocks --- just people trying out the feeling of being in an exam room, surely. Whatever date the Bucks test is, you could get used as a "mock" for children doing indie exams later in the year. I'm not sure that one can ever stop people who wish to do that doing that (hat's off to them on their parenting skills, I'd never get my child doing an unnecessary exam ) - presumably the current timing suits the whole exam machinery system and the primaries who give space for the exams and isn't worth changing for the "mock" reason?

I wonder why Kent isn't having similar issues - we're a bigger authority than Bucks with an opt-in system, approx 13,000 sitters and enough grammar places for everyone who passes?
I think there are two reasons why Bucks suffers with this so much. One is that they are surrounded by local authorities who don't have grammar schools, and, to be honest this isn't such a problem, if the schools are nearby, I don't think borders should matter. I suspect the other reason is the magic phrase "CEM" - although the exams differ, people still want to use it as a mock. Also, people who delude themselves that a journey of 2 hours each way every day is OK may think that Bucks is more accessible than Kent. Having said all that, it is interesting that Bucks suffers more of this than Kent.
scary mum