Dr Challoner's Grammar School to admit girls into 6th form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Dr Challoner's Grammar School to admit girls into 6th form

Post by scary mum »

I have heard that DCGS it to admit girls into the 6th form from 2016. Do any of the other single sex schools do the same? I know some do for specific subjects where pupils from other schools travel for a subject not covered by their own school.

I also hear that 3 A levels will become the norm there with the new system of A levels, their reasoning being that universities offer on 3 A levels.

Anyone have any other information about this?
scary mum
JamesDean

Re: Dr Challoner's Grammar School to admit girls into 6th fo

Post by JamesDean »

KES in Stratford do - kes.net - started last academic year so the first co-hort will sit their As next year :)
There's a mom of one of them who posts on the Warks forum ...

JD
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I was :shock: when I heard about this.

I gather that part of the reasoning is to enable them to offer a broader range of subjects than is currently possible, because boys all tend to gravitate towards certain subjects.

I fear the impact on DCHS will be huge, and possibly also BHS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How do they have the space to do this? Either they are expanding the sixth form or boys will miss out - which?

This is a school that is always strongly defending its PAN on 'overcrowding' ... hmmm. I wonder if DCHS will retaliate and open to boys in the sixth form ....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:How do they have the space to do this? Either they are expanding the sixth form or boys will miss out - which?

This is a school that is always strongly defending its PAN on 'overcrowding' ... hmmm. I wonder if DCHS will retaliate and open to boys in the sixth form ....
Presumably they will all be at it - as said above, it will affect BHS, so they may have to admit boys.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

Yes, my immediate thoughts were the impact on BHS. Wondered if they might be tempted to do the same but I somehow think that bringing boys into a girls' sixth form would worry parents much more than girls into a boys' sixth form.

That said, there are arguments to be made for gently introducing 16 and 17 yr old single-sex school pupils to the 'real world' before they get to university etc
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are also implicitly admitting that mixed schools have a benefit ... exactly what Ofsted said recently.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Guest55 wrote:How do they have the space to do this? Either they are expanding the sixth form or boys will miss out - which?

I think boys can and do get into 6th form from quite a distance away, the catchment is all of South Bucks (I think)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

drummer wrote:Yes, my immediate thoughts were the impact on BHS. Wondered if they might be tempted to do the same but I somehow think that bringing boys into a girls' sixth form would worry parents much more than girls into a boys' sixth form.

That said, there are arguments to be made for gently introducing 16 and 17 yr old single-sex school pupils to the 'real world' before they get to university etc

Have you seen the way girls act up around boys lately.....it's blooming scary! :lol:

Surely dchs will have to follow suit, it seems almost awkward for it not to.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

KES took girls in the 6th form, as JD says above...however, Shottery Girls has not yet succumbed and opened up to boys in the 6th Form - I think, potentially this means less spaces for boys in GS in South Warks, in 6th form...but then there is already less spaces for boys in South Warks in GS so no real change there...