Wycombe High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jpower

Wycombe High School

Post by jpower »

Hi,

I realise that you need to see each school and it needs to be a fit for your child, however we are moving house and the destination is not set. I notice that Wycombe high would be an option for DD and I wondered what the general consesus or word was about the school, I have read the ofsted and that seems very good, I do plan to go make a visit, but would welcome any input.

Thanks.
Guest55

Re: Wycombe High School

Post by Guest55 »

All the Bucks GS are good. They vary a lot though as some are mixed gender and some single gender. The 'ethos/atmosphere' also varies and some have better pastoral care than others.

Personally I don't like the school site much and the buildings are a bit tired. Last time I visited for an event I had to go up a windy external staircase to get to reception and it did not feel very welcoming.

The problem would be if your daughter doesn't not qualify as, apart from St Michael's (the Catholic Upper school), the alternatives are not great.
jpower

Post by jpower »

So I get the same feeling regarding the Bucks GS, have made appointments to go and see them now.

But your right if she does not qualify the other choices don't look great, this is tough, my DS qualified and I would say like for like age DD is at least 6-9 months in advance of DS, so if she continues on that path I think she would be okay, but off course that assumes continued growth at the same rate and that off course we have no idea if that will happen. Amazing that a move has to take schooling into such high consideration.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So is your DS already at a Bucks GS?

If you are considering other schools there are probably parents on here that can comment.
jpower

Post by jpower »

Guest55 wrote:So is your DS already at a Bucks GS?

If you are considering other schools there are probably parents on here that can comment.
Not yet, in theory he will start in Sept.

Non grammar wise the other schools would be Sir William Ramsey, Holmer Green, Bourne End Academy (former Wye Valley), not sure if anyone has info on any of those.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will comment by PM - which GS have you named on the CAF for him?
jpower

Post by jpower »

Guest55 wrote:I will comment by PM - which GS have you named on the CAF for him?
Thanks. John Hampden, Dr Challoners, RGS
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Surely there aren't many places where you would be in catchment for both RGS and Dr Challoner's? Bits of GX as detailed on another thread, perhaps…
jpower

Post by jpower »

Rob Clark wrote:Surely there aren't many places where you would be in catchment for both RGS and Dr Challoner's? Bits of GX as detailed on another thread, perhaps…
Pretty awesome right, denham has all 3 of them as catchment, however it comes with a catch, you are also the furthest person away within catchment, so the likes of Dr Challoners normally filing up by 7 miles, means you don't have much change unless its an odd year, luckily JHGS and RGS tend to venture further most years. So its in catchment but on the brink if that makes sense.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Technically, that is true, but DCGS has very rarely, if ever, taken students from Denham.

Lovely place to live though :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now