Review results 2015 - general discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dino2003

Re: And the countdown begins.....

Post by dino2003 »

Congrats Rosato1.
If u don't mind asking me what was math level when u sent the documents for selection review as it was 4b at the end of year 5.
as they consider mine unrealistic from 3a to 5c........when I sent the papers he was 4b.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Many congratulations from Sally-Anne and me to all who got the outcome they were hoping for.

At the same time we're very mindful of those who've been disappointed. Lots of comments above show how supportive this forum is.
We're happy to help with any specific cases over on the Appeals forum, but there's not much you can do before March.
If you haven't already seen it, section D of the following thread from last year will give you an idea of what lies ahead if you wish to appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, could anyone please help by emailing to the Appeals Box a copy of the current yellow guidance form. I'm assuming it's still yellow, and that it was sent out with the 11+ results last autumn.
Depending on whether or not the wording has changed, it might help with the 'fair, consistent & objective' argument. This is the criticism of it we made last year:
    • Why doesn't the yellow guidance form "Moving up to secondary school in September 2014 - The selection review process" make clear that the right to a full hearing by an independent appeal panel could be severely affected by going through a review?
            • (The 'fair, consistent & objective' criterion is referred to briefly in the main 'Moving up to secondary school' guide, but few parents are going to take in all ~80 pages.
              The purpose of the two-page yellow guidance form must surely be to draw attention to all the key points parents need to be aware of when considering a review.
              It seems curious indeed that it contains not the slightest mention of the 'fair, consistent & objective' rule, nor of the possible consequences.
              Admissions have given themselves a bit of cover by providing a link to Appeals, but they've certainly not made it easy! There's a vague mention of 'possible outcomes' - which is unlikely to prompt most parents to follow the link to Appeals and plough through all the finer points of Infant Class Size legislation etc. before finally arriving at the crucial wording relating to reviews ...... :roll:)
      Why doesn't the yellow guidance form mention the right to go direct to an appeal?
Please note - Sally-Anne is unfortunately not able to access the internet today, but she hopes to be online again tomorrow.
Etienne
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Hi everyone

We were successful. A big thank you to everyone on the forum that has helped me practically and emotionally . It's been a long journey. Feeling sad and thinking of my fellow forumites that haven't got the result hoped for. Love Dollyxxxx
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

dino2003 wrote:Congrats Rosato1.
If u don't mind asking me what was math level when u sent the documents for selection review as it was 4b at the end of year 5.
as they consider mine unrealistic from 3a to 5c........when I sent the papers he was 4b.
- for my DC it's writing, L4b+ at end Y5 but predicted just L4a+ Y6 (just one sub-level).

I have found out from another parent who went through this a couple of year's ago that this is the schools stance, they will only happily predict what the child can definitely achieve not what child could achieve. This other parent's review wasn't supported by the school, it was unsuccessful, they challenged that decision, won, went to appeal and won that too. Their DC is now at grammar and flying.

Ironically my older DC (who qualified in old 11+ test) was actually a lower writing level that this DC at end of Y6, plus a lower maths level; so therefore if that DC hadn't qualified and we'd gone through a review with them it would have shown (in the selection review) that DCs academic levels were not suitable for grammar - wrong - DC is excelling at grammar school, has met with the HT in recognition of DCs work, won an award end Y7 for work levels and is now in Y8 with 1st term report showing excelling in all areas!
Heartmum x x x
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Good news Dolly! It just goes to show... Looks like around 50% on this thread won - if anyone was wondering whether it's worth the effort - it obviously is!!

Etienne - in response to your request - I don't recall a yellow form? What I will say though, is if I had not learned about FCO on this forum - I would be none the wiser by now. I have never seen anything eluding to this ever (not looked to be fair) - I wonder if, when you ask for an appeal, they would tell you then?!
Rosato1

Post by Rosato1 »

Dear Dino2003,
Of course I would happily let you know what was sent of on the selection review form.
Year 3 levels:
Maths 3c
English 3a
Writing 3a

End of year 5:
Maths was levelled at 4b.
At the time of sending the form, maths was levelled at current working level 5c.
And predicted level 5a...
I must say there were many evening of tears and hairpulling trying to get DD maths levels up. In the test it was Her weakest subject!!!
Hope this helps and good luck in the appeals. :)
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks Bucksmum02, it's still hard to celebrate knowing others on here are havent been successful . We have all been through a lot together and if I can help in anyway, please ask. Dollyxxxxx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

BucksMum02 wrote:Etienne - in response to your request - I don't recall a yellow form? What I will say though, is if I had not learned about FCO on this forum - I would be none the wiser by now. I have never seen anything eluding to this ever (not looked to be fair) - I wonder if, when you ask for an appeal, they would tell you then?!
Thanks, BucksMum02.

Dragonamp kindly sent us a copy in October 2013, so I think it would have been sent out with the 11+ results, steering those with scores below 121 towards a review.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 25#p407425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
BucksMum02

Post by BucksMum02 »

Hi Dolly - I, for one, would be utterly devastated to think that any thing would strip you of 100% joy right now. Your DC was amazing, you are amazing and you should celebrate to the max! The fact you're still here sharing (and all of you who won and lost) is so helpful.

As Etienne said - the community here is wonderful. And, if that's all I gain from this horrid process, it's been worth it!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Etienne wrote:
BucksMum02 wrote:Etienne - in response to your request - I don't recall a yellow form? What I will say though, is if I had not learned about FCO on this forum - I would be none the wiser by now. I have never seen anything eluding to this ever (not looked to be fair) - I wonder if, when you ask for an appeal, they would tell you then?!
Thanks, BucksMum02.

Dragonamp kindly sent us a copy in October 2013, so I think it would have been sent out with the 11+ results, steering those with scores below 121 towards a review.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 25#p407425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.. just gone through original 11+ result paperwork, there was no yellow form, just one form with result on and underneath information what to do and a link http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schooladmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where to find out further information if you feel DC would be suitable for grammar school.

It states ... "in sections 2 and 3 of the Moving up to Secondary School Guide available on our website ..... we explain what you may do next if you feel strongly that *** would be suitable for grammar school. This includes information about the Selection Review Process, how to request a Selection Review and/or, once the allocations have been made, the admission appeal process.

.... you will still have the right of appeal to a particular grammar school even if you did not apply for a review or if the review was unsuccessful. Make sure you still include grammar school preferences on your application if you plan to do this. Appeals will be heard during the summer term 2015."
Heartmum x x x