Review results 2015 - general discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: And the countdown begins.....

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote: .. just gone through original 11+ result paperwork, there was no yellow form, just one form with result on and underneath information what to do and a link http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schooladmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where to find out further information if you feel DC would be suitable for grammar school.
Thanks, heartmum. Looks as if they've withdrawn the yellow guidance sheet as it was open to criticism.
It states ... "in sections 2 and 3 of the Moving up to Secondary School Guide available on our website ..... we explain what you may do next if you feel strongly that *** would be suitable for grammar school. This includes information about the Selection Review Process, how to request a Selection Review and/or, once the allocations have been made, the admission appeal process.

.... you will still have the right of appeal to a particular grammar school even if you did not apply for a review or if the review was unsuccessful. Make sure you still include grammar school preferences on your application if you plan to do this. Appeals will be heard during the summer term 2015."
Not keen on drawing too much attention to 'fair, consistent & objective', are they? :roll:

Looking at the Moving up to Secondary School Guide, I wonder how many parents got as far as "You should be aware that if you have already had an unsuccessful selection review, the IAP will be restricted by the School Admission Appeals Code to considering whether the review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way" on page 68?

I suppose there may be some good news in that two years ago (the first year of the new system) 75% of reviews were found not to be 'fair, consistent & objective' at appeal.

We've not seen any figure for last year yet. Perhaps someone could put in a FoI request?

We wouldn't necessarily expect the percentage of unsatisfactory reviews to remain at the same extraordinarily high level - one imagines steps would have been taken to try and address some of the more obvious flaws in the early paperwork.
Booklady wrote:Well if what we have is the full record it is completely underwhelming I have to say!!
You would have been under-under-underwhelmed if you'd seen the paperwork which forum members copied to us in the first year of the new system! :?
Etienne
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Etienne wrote:
heartmum wrote:
Booklady wrote:Well if what we have is the full record it is completely underwhelming I have to say!!
You would have been under-under-underwhelmed if you'd seen the paperwork which forum members copied to us in the first year of the new system! :?
Should those of us left in this sorry position now be requesting full copies of notes then? Or is there really nothing else to see?!?!?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

"Looking at the Moving up to Secondary School Guide, I wonder how many parents got as far as "You should be aware that if you have already had an unsuccessful selection review, the IAP will be restricted by the School Admission Appeals Code to considering whether the review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way" on page 68?"
I read that but what does that mean:
(i) are we able to go straight to school appeal/oversubscription (without challenging FCO) or by going to review stopped that option?
(ii) do we have to go through FCO first, if successful then appeal but if unsuccessful we can still go to an appeal without FCO?

It is so confusing and the facts are just not too clear!
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You appeal to prove suitability for GS but in the appeal you have to address FCO - see last year's threads on this.

It's one process ...

Of course there may be an over-subscription aspect of course.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Booklady wrote:Should those of us left in this sorry position now be requesting full copies of notes then? Or is there really nothing else to see?!?!?
I'm pretty sure it's the latter!

If the notes appear inadequate, it's to your advantage when challenging FCO. :?
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote:"Looking at the Moving up to Secondary School Guide, I wonder how many parents got as far as "You should be aware that if you have already had an unsuccessful selection review, the IAP will be restricted by the School Admission Appeals Code to considering whether the review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way." on page 68?"
I read that but what does that mean:
(i) are we able to go straight to school appeal/oversubscription (without challenging FCO) or by going to review stopped that option?
(ii) do we have to go through FCO first, if successful then appeal but if unsuccessful we can still go to an appeal without FCO?

It is so confusing and the facts are just not too clear!
The wording isn't very clear - but, as I've written in the other thread:
    • If you've already been to review, then 'fair, consistent & objective' is the first part of the appeal, and you can't avoid it!
      If you don't get over that particular hurdle, then the rest of your appeal case won't be considered.
Etienne
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Hi I am a forum member who was in a similar position as yourselves a couple of years back and I have just realised it was decision day today. Congrats to those who were successful and commisorations to those that weren't.

My dd was not successful at selection review nor the appeal but passed her 12 plus and is now at Grammar school. If you truly believe that your child should be in a Grammar school don't give up. It was a long journey for us but we got there in the end!

All the best to you x
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks buzzybee, that good to hear.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi Etienne, I'm sure I read that there were cases where people who were not successful at FCO still went to an appeal at the schools, a hard battle where you were challenging not just the 11+ result but the decision of the review panel (LEA). Is that correct?
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote:Hi Etienne, I'm sure I read that there were cases where people who were not successful at FCO still went to an appeal at the schools, a hard battle where you were challenging not just the 11+ result but the decision of the review panel (LEA). Is that correct?
No. There are three parts to each GS appeal (subject to the bits in brackets below), and all three parts are heard at the same time:
1. FCO (if you've had an unsuccessful review)
2. Qualification (if unqualified)
3. Oversubscription (if the school is full, or likely to become so)

You're not given the decision on FCO at the end of part 1, because there is no break in the proceedings - so you have to go through the whole of your case without knowing whether parts 2-3 will actually be considered!

Most parents will be appealing for more than one grammar school.
I don't know if you're thinking of a situation where parents lost an appeal for one GS at the FCO stage, but were more successful with one of their other GS appeals?
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now