Moving to Bucks in October 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
indiemom

Re: Moving to Bucks in October 2015

Post by indiemom »

robben wrote:Thanks Guest55...

Not sure if anyone moved into Bucks after the result into a catchment of their interest and have a seat confirmation this week!
As you might have already seen from other posters, it's very difficult to predict what will happen next year based on what people experienced this year.

As berks_mum posted, there are some shared catchment areas where you can move to so that you can cover Reading, Bucks and Slough GSs like Maidenhead (some postcode are catered by SWBGS as well as Reading and Slough). I know of a friend who is moving next month to Maidenhead to optimise the DS's chances for applying in all the GSs.

And in Maidenhead one will get six preferences to put in CAF unlike Reading/ Wokingham which is most 4.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Yes to all that indiemom has said.

In addition, Maidenhead has good comprehensives as a back up.

On the down side Maidenhead seems much more expensive to live than some areas of Reading.
robben

Post by robben »

Based on the allocation profile ...from second round: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/3110612 ... l-2015.pdf

RGS allocation is 21+ miles..

Hope this years allocation is above 17miles at-least!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RGS is very difficult to travel to - I would dream of driving too far to it in the morning.

How are you proposing to get your DS there?
robben

Post by robben »

Will move somewhere close to the school....cannot imagine travelling everyday!

I am sure there might be parents who have moved due to RGS from Reading...like to hear how and when did they move
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you actually visited the school to see if it is what you think? It certainly doesn't suit everyone and the new HT will bring changes ...

It's not a school that would have suited my DS.
robben

Post by robben »

Yet to visit the school. But curious on knowing your view pls. Also what changes are we talking about there?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are entering him for the Selection Test before visiting the school? That seems a bit strange ... I would have thought a visit first was sensible considering the move you are thinking about.

The new Head is bound to make changes - every new Head does - he is moving from Chesham Grammar School which is mixed. He's done a good job at CGS but who knows what his thinking will be.
trudie

Post by trudie »

Have you actually visited the school to see if it is what you think? It certainly doesn't suit everyone and the new HT will bring changes ...
It's not a school that would have suited my DS.
You do need to visit any grammar before setting your sights on it. They are all different and RGS is a very individual place. To assume that your DS would settle happily there is not - as Guest 55 advises - a given. Also schools do undergo a period of change when a new Head arrives - and change is forever experienced by different people in different ways. There are RGS parents breathing a sigh of relief and some are not so keen. Only you know your own child and your own expectations.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I have visited RGS and JH two GS that are a short distance apart and for me very different schools, how can you know which is right for you if you don't actually visit :roll: