Moving to Bucks in October 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Moving to Bucks in October 2015

Post by ToadMum »

jabba7 wrote:I have visited RGS and JH two GS that are a short distance apart and for me very different schools, how can you know which is right for you if you don't actually visit :roll:

But they are Grammar Schools., surely that is all you need to know?

Sorry, OP, I think it just seems odd to many of us that someone would consider uprooting the whole family for what is really a non-essential reason, without having some idea about what it actually is they are doing it for, so to speak. Are you targeting Bucks or putting your DC in for the 11+ for schools in other areas, seen or unseen?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Please go and visit the school (or any school you enter a test for / put on CAF)!

Why RGS? What is it you feel it can specifically offer your child?

Yes it's a great school but it's not for all! I know people who have moved children from here to an upper (child was doing v well) I also know people who are very happy with it. It would have been the worst school on the planet for my ds - similarly his school (swbgs) would be the worst for some children.

The fact that a school is a grammar doesn't necessarily make it the best school! They all take the same GCSEs in year 11. Of course it's higher up the league tables then non selectives- they have selected their intake- they should be getting those results it's not necessarily that the school has done anything special!

It would be foolhardy to move without visiting the school. It's also a pig to get to - I would not want to drive from the jhgs side of the Wycombe to it on a daily basis!
trudie

Post by trudie »

And you may wish to pose the question of why RGS is (often) able to take boys from over 17 miles? It certainly is not the school that fits all. Putting a pin in the map everywhere there is a grammar school and not researching what kind of place it may be, is not a responsible way of choosing an educational environment for your child.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

I am really not sure what a visit to RGS would achieve in some ways. When we visited we were as impressed with it as we were with JHGS. They are different, but imo based on the visit (which backed up my understanding of the school from when I was a child living nearby) I would say it is just more old-school, more traditional and formal. Older historic buildings make for a quainter feeling maybe and the facilities may not be so modern; it reminds me of my HS. I am sure there are differences but from my experience it was not possible to tell from the open day. The boys at both were a credit to the schools.

Having said that, it is always a good idea to visit to see which one your DS prefers.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

That's why it's better to go on a regular day. I hate open days, they are just a sales pitch.
scary mum
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

I think even on a regular day you would see similar to what I have described (I have been to both on a normal day though not for a tour, so maybe someone else can give advice on that). I do believe RGS is more old school and JHGS is more modern. I feel that may be helpful information if OP finds they cannot visit. The pupils at both schools are well behaved with good manners and the exam results are similar. I personally prefer RGS because it reminds me of my HS with history and tradition, but I know that doesn't suit everyone.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

NanoNano wrote:I think even on a regular day you would see similar to what I have described (I have been to both on a normal day though not for a tour, so maybe someone else can give advice on that). I do believe RGS is more old school and JHGS is more modern. I feel that may be helpful information if OP finds they cannot visit. The pupils at both schools are well behaved with good manners and the exam results are similar. I personally prefer RGS because it reminds me of my HS with history and tradition, but I know that doesn't suit everyone.
You know I disagree I feel you can get a strong feeling for a school - both my ds and I felt this when we visited for him - I loved JHGS he said it wasn't right for him and loved swbgs. Similarly my dd felt strongly that whs wasn't for her. Talking to pupils gives you a real feel for the school.

Speaking to staff also you get a feel for the school. I think the key is to know what's important to you and then make sure you ask the right questions.

People wouldn't buy a house without visiting it and getting a structural survey etc so why they would choose a school and move a whole family without even a cursory visit seems confusing.
trudie

Post by trudie »

People wouldn't buy a house without visiting it and getting a structural survey etc so why they would choose a school and move a whole family without even a cursory visit seems confusing.
Agreed.

Would you ever dream of sending a baby to a childminder without visiting? Or a toddler to a pre-school? Or an elderly parent to a nursing/residential home?

Perhaps it's best to visit a school. Talk to the staff. Talk to other parents and children who attend.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

So what of those people who visit their local upper school and find it totally inappropriate but still have to send their DC there? No choice; no alternative.

I was not being judgmental that OP had not visited; I was just trying to give advice on the differences between the schools in the hope that it might help if they were unable to see the schools; the schools in question are equivalent and although I suspect Toadmum(?) was being sarcastic when she said a grammar is a grammar, when the alternative is an unsuitable school that really is the case.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

NanoNano wrote:I suspect Toadmum(?) was being sarcastic when she said a grammar is a grammar, when the alternative is an unsuitable school that really is the case.
But just because a school is a grammar school it can still be just as unsuitable as an upper.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now