please put my mind at ease

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cupovt

please put my mind at ease

Post by cupovt »

Hi, can anyone who has been through the process shine some light on the order of filling the school choice form. I know we have to put them in the order of preference but I've read here that some schools after finding out that you had put them at the bottom of the list, deny you the place and your child might end up in the school outside your choices.
I know we have 6 choices, if I put 5 grammar schools at the top and 1 comprehensive at the bottom for example. Say my kid doesn't pass the exam, then will I get the bottom choice comp or will I get something that was not my choice at all. :shock:
What is the best way of doing it? List 3 grammars perhaps and 3 comps to be on the safe side. Can someone who's been through this share their views.
There is one more question (this too comes from reading about parents experiences)
If my child gets the required score for the grammar of our choice and we live close, will he automatically get in or is there still a possibility that he wouldn't. I've read some kids scored really high somewhere else in the country and still did not get in. Maybe I am getting worked up about nothing but the more I know the better I am prepeared. This is my first 11+ experience :?
Many Thanks
Maria

Post by Guest »

It is in your interests to fill out the CAF as honestly as possible.

You can tick a box on the form to say that if your child passes the 11 plus but doesn't get into one of the GS named on your form then the LA will try an offer a place at the nearest GS with a space.

The schools have absolutely nothing to do with the allocation process whatsoever. They do not allocate places and do not decide who does or doesn't get a place. Places are allocated strictly in accordance with the stated criteria.

You may be thinking of the Slough Consortium Grammar Schools who will mind which of those schools you have placed first in relation to each other (though I think even this may be changing). Anyway, if you are applying through Bucks they have no idea if you have placed them first or last on the Common Application Form only which of the Consortium schools you prefer.

Is there a chance that your child might fail the 11 plus? Do you have any preferences in such a case for which Upper School your child might then attend? If so then you must put this on your form. I am not sure why you would want to put 5 GS down unless you have very strong opinions about those schools (and against other schools).

I would strongly advise you to look at the selection/catchment criteria and historical allocation profile for each school you are interested in and to visit the schools in order to decide your preferences.

It is also very important to note that in Bucks all children who pass the 11 plus are treated equally as far as academic selection goes. Therefore a child who gets 141 is considered the same as a child who scored *only* 121. The difference between them is then catchment/distance/ siblings etc.

There is a LOT of information on the Bucks CC website, luckily you have plenty of time to read it all!
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hello Maria

I was having trouble understanding all of this, but then I found this link. Patricia posted it as a Sticky on Bucks, but this will take you to the same place.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/leade ... /index.asp

The Powerpoint presentation is really helpful - it is the one the Head used to talk to parents about the 11+ last term.

Have you read the Admissions booklet itself? It is on the Bucks CC website, but I can't find a link to it at the moment.
cupovt

Post by cupovt »

Hi and thank you for the info :D
I read the Admission booklet in an online form
I was spooked by somebody here saying about RGS and JHG and what the headtechers there had said. :shock: Therefore I was not sure if in practice things are different from what the booklets say.
Also would anyone know if Aylesbury Grammar, Henry Floyd and Royal Latin are oversubscribed or not or where one would find such information
Also someone told me that Royal Latin has a very small catchment area as oppose to Aylesbury and Henry Floyd, is that true?
Many Thanks
Maria
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Historically RLS admissions 'distance' is about 10 miles - the info is in the booklet at the back. AGS varies - one year it went to 17 miles - Floyd has been undersubscribed but is gaining popularity since the new Head arrived about 18 months ago. If you PM me about roughly where you live I can give more specific advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now