Primary school visit from new GS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dollydripmat

Re: Primary school visit from new GS?

Post by Dollydripmat »

Couldn't they do something similar to BHS, they put on a picnic at the school and invite only the children that are either on their own or schools which they weren't able to visit. Makes sense. A friend recently went to one and said it was really nice for her daughter as she has met some girls and teachers before induction day. Dollyxxxx
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

That's a lovely idea, well done BHS...I may suggest this to AHS at 'parents' induction evening ;)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Karma, is ahs your catchment grammar and is your child in a state primary school in the catchment area? I'm really disappointed if that is so, because you should expect the same level of care as the catchment upper has shown to your primary school, assuming their teacher turned up, along with the other two gs. Definitely worth an e mail to stop local primary schools being ignored again next year! I was happily surprised jh visited my son as its not our catchment school.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Karma67 wrote:And we are one of those small village schools....
I told my DD today that AHS wouldn't be able to visit....she was sad about it and said.... well it's probably not worth coming to see us as there are only 3 of us.... :(

My DC2 was the only one joining his secondary and it was 18 miles away but the head of Y7 did visit. Different county but pretty sure because of the lack of catchment criterea they would have had quite a large number of visits to make ..... and dare I say it but with two year groups having finished school back in June surely that would free up some teaching time for visits.

I know I keep banging on about equality but frankly if you can't visit all don't visit any and use some other intro method ... or as Dolly points out take a tip from BHS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not all the AV GS ignore small schools ... some visit all the children. I think that is worth a mention to AHS ..

I think it is important to see them in their school first - it shows the new school care about them. In the schools I know they can also feed back on the successes of older students from the school. It also gives staff a chance to answer 'silly' questions in an informal way that Induction day may not allow.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Last year my DD was the only one from her Out of County primary to qualify and the head of AHS Y7 did visit. So perhaps there are even more schools this year.

At the girls induction day one of the exercises they have to do is ask at least 3 girls in their tutor group for email and phone details so they can get in touch over the summer.

At the new parents evening, after the talks, you are encouraged to get refreshments in the dining hall. There are 6 tables for all the different houses and parents gather round their Dd's one. Usually parents then leave their details, and depending on how proactive that group happens to be, often a picnic or similar is arranged for the holidays, giving the girls a chance to meet up in a more informal setting.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

southbucks3 wrote:Karma, is ahs your catchment grammar and is your child in a state primary school in the catchment area? .
Yes it is our catchment GS southbucks (all 3 are actually are AHS, AGS and SHFS) and yes she is in a state primary school in the catchment area :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Karma67 wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:Karma, is ahs your catchment grammar and is your child in a state primary school in the catchment area? .
Yes it is our catchment GS southbucks (all 3 are actually are AHS, AGS and SHFS) and yes she is in a state primary school in the catchment area :(
Then I suggest you have a chat with your current primary head and get them to do some stern e mails to prevent this happening again. Catchment state schools are never going to be far away from the school, ten- twelve miles tops (around wing/the risboroughs/Aston clinton/and little villages in the north of the vale, so they should prioritise them and also support the local primary schools. Whilst they are there it would be rather nice if they encouraged the current year five too, ten minutes minutes in class, not a lecture!
Rags

Post by Rags »

We too, are in one of the little village schools ... the majority go straight into the upper next door. Those going to GSs are split, with AGS, AHS getting a couple each, and SHF most of the rest ....

I have no indication that there are visits from any of the GSs.

I suppose it would be nice, but my DD doesn't seem overly exercised by the lack. And was sanguine when she and the other GS ppl were put aside so that the rest of the year could have their visit from the upper.

She's still very excited about the induction day, and that's occupying her thoughts at present - nice to have something positive to focus on.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

We are 7 miles away from AHS.

I will discuss with my DD's headteacher about emailing AHS.

Rags, my DD is really excited about the induction day aswell!
Wouldn't it be uncanny if they ended up in the same form group!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now