DCHS Parents Information Evening - MFL woes!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: DCHS Parents Information Evening - MFL woes!

Post by Sally-Anne »

Some courses that offer industrial years require specific MFLs because of the nature of the placements. French and German seem to be the most specified for STEM courses.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The only RG uni is UCL - no others.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/faqs#2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Is it true that a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE or equivalent is required for entry to Russell Group universities?

Our institutions very much value language skills but there is no universal entry requirement that students must have studied a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE or equivalent. However, there may be course-specific requirements, so we strongly encourage students to check universities’ websites for details of these.

Currently University College London (UCL) is the only Russell Group institution to require a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. However if you did not take a Modern Foreign Language GCSE, or if you got a D grade or below you can still apply to any UCL degree programme, and it won’t negatively affect your application. You will not be rejected just because you don’t have it but you will need to complete a short course in a modern foreign language, either on a summer school or in the first year of your degree, to catch up."
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The problem is that some people who are academically very capable do struggle with a MFL. We were forced to take one back in my day and for me it was a waste of time. Not only did I know I'd fail but the whole business of doing an Oral was humiliating.

.... and Rags studying Welsh is compulsory in Wales up until 16. However in some areas finding teachers of the required standard to teach it was a struggle initially. I am not sure if that has changed now.

.... and ditto Lillie would dearly love it if my DS could have the opportunity to pick another foreign language or even swap for a bit because he's thoroughly bored in his present classes. :(
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Tolstoy wrote:The problem is that some people who are academically very capable do struggle with a MFL. We were forced to take one back in my day
Aptitude always helps, but success is easier if your trained teacher has a native or near-native grasp of the target language. Leaving an otherwise good primary, I was dismayed to find that DD has been taught that the French word for bird rhymes with Kazoo (the little musical instrument), as does the French word for water. Now that's certainly a waste of time. And I'm a big fan of languages, so I'm annoyed at the provision, not the fact that it is part of the curriculum. Much the same at lots of the secondaries we visited. Teachers who were native speakers of the target language were very thin on the ground.

I've learned a couple of languages to a very high standard. I hate being able to spot errors in the posters or the marked exercise books on open days. Not having a go at teachers, more at the recruitment / supervision / supposed qualifications.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Tolstoy wrote:.... and Rags studying Welsh is compulsory in Wales up until 16. However in some areas finding teachers of the required standard to teach it was a struggle initially. I am not sure if that has changed now.
Knowing some people born & brought up in Wales, who studied Welsh under the system .... it's not a resounding success. I speak more Welsh than they do... (I know - the plural of anecdote isn't 'fact'..)

I don't know how successful the program is generally. I don't think I know anyone in/from Wales who actually speaks Welsh well ... and I have Welsh relatives, and know many people who live in Wales.
Welsh is a little different from other MFL though - it's not technically foreign, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who speaks Welsh and not English, and it's more a romantic/identity issue, rather than a useful tool, I think. The interviews I've seen with those who were taught exclusively in Welsh, they come across as annoyed that in order to do anything useful with their (Welsh taught) degrees, they had to relearn all the terminology in English.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Totally agree Rags and in fact the policy in some areas has led to many people ( women in particular ) not being able to find jobs and those that have are often chosen for their ability to speak the language effectively over better qualified canditates.

I do know some excellent Welsh speakers though as it is their first language.

Anyway slap on the wrist have gone off topic. :oops: